FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

BitDefender 2020 Blocking Playback?

<<

Falneth

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:49 pm

BitDefender 2020 Blocking Playback?

I am using a licensed version of Serviio 2.1. Recently I changed my antivirus to Bitdefender 2020. I stream various video file formats (avi, mp4, mpg, mkv), all with different encodings to my gaming consoles. I have PS3, PS4, XBOX 360, and XBOX One. Well, ever since I made the change to the BitDefender, EVERY mkv file, regardless of the encodings inside the mkv container will not play on any of my consoles. I have tried each console and only the mkv files do not work. They were all working before I shifted from Avast to BitDefender. My Serviio is set up to enable Transcoding when necessary. Also, my Serviio does not show any connected console with a green connection symbol even when I am browsing the media server files or playing a video/audio file from the media server. My Serviio Console status page only shows the "Unknown" or "Inactive" device status on every device.

My Bitdefender firewall is set to ALLOW traffic from the ServiioService.exe file. Is there some other file that needs to be set to allow traffic from that will process the transcodings?

Thank you.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:46 pm

Re: BitDefender 2020 Blocking Playback?

Port 1900 (UDP) is used for DLNA / uPNP discovery (SSDP), but since it appears Serviio is visible to your players that shouldn't be an issue. I'm not familiar with BitDefender, so I'm just making some guesses. It apparently is monitoring the traffic flow from that application (Serviio Service) and is detecting something that is triggering it to block.

The green indicator in the console depends on the player responding with something specific. My Roku devices never turn green, even when streaming. At this moment, nothing is streaming from my server, and the only green indicators are my two AVRs (only one which is turned on at the moment) and one of two TVs that are currently on. So don't sweat the light not being green.

I would dig deeper into the BitDefender settings and see if there's something that can be tweaked. You might need assistance from BitDefender themselves, as this might be something they didn't consider in their rules. I wouldn't think that FFMPEG would need to be whitelisted, and of course that would only be applicable if the media is being transcoded. Usually MKV files can be played without transcoding, but it depends on the codecs within the container and the abilities of the player in question.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Serviio Support & Help