FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Can user-profiles.xml override a setting from profiles.xml?

<<

bkeith4web

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:46 pm

Can user-profiles.xml override a setting from profiles.xml?

Basic question is, if my user-profiles.xml entry extends an existing standard profile (bdp2013) in this case and then I find out that my device (a blu-ray player) actually plays matroska with h264/avc codec just fine and does not need to transcode it, can I use my user-profiles entry to STOP the transcoding that would occur within the bdp2013 profile? Everything else in the profile is great, everything works fine, and I could achieve this by commenting a couple lines in the profiles.xml but I'm trying to work only in user-profiles. I could maybe hunt around and find another profile that works as a baseline, but there are lots of other things in this bdp2013 profile that seem to work perfectly with my player so that's why I'm trying this approach.

Thanks for any suggestions!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:22 pm

Re: Can user-profiles.xml override a setting from profiles.x

I'm not certain, but I don't think the user file can stop something occurring within the inherited profile. As I understand the process flow, Serviio goes down the profile in order, starting with the user profile, then moving to the inherited profile. It stops once it encounters a match and does not continue through the profile. So, to stop it from moving on to the inherited profile, you'd need a Matches line in the user profile. But that matches line has to trigger something, even if it's just an audio transcode.

I agree that it might work better by starting with a different profile to inherit. If you inherit the generic profile (ID#1), then there's no transcoding done from that profile, and you can handle any matches required in the user profile.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

bkeith4web

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:34 pm

Thanks Dan, that makes sense and indeed seems to be the way mine is behaving. I'm basically taking the bdp2013 profile and copying it into user-profiles and then making my edits there and assigning that custom profile to my player. At least that way I can have finer grained control over my edits and testing.

I really appreciate your answers to my recent posts as I've been tinkering with a Vizio TV and a sony blu-ray player. Unfortunately neither one is handling the online stream and I'm trying to avoid spending $150 on a Nvidia Shield since I can already push the stream to a chromecast attached to the TV from my computer which VLC sees as a DLNA renderer, but Serviio is better quality and lets me select from multiple streams with the TV remote. First world problem, I know.

One other question about this, Sony says that the DLAN "standard" for video transport is mpeg ps (program stream) as opposed to mpeg ts (transport stream) and I'm not quite sure if Serviio supports mpeg-ps. The target containers all use mpegts from what I can see and, if I understand correctly, if you specify that and do not specify a video codec, Serviio will pass the video stream along without transcoding (although the audio might be transcoded for example). Can Serviio pass the video stream using mpegps instead? This is an area I don't know much about at all.

Brian
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:42 pm

Yes, Serviio supports MPEG-PS as well. Per the transcoding support page, it can use the following: asf, mpeg (MPEG2PS), mpegts (MPEG2TS), applehttp (HLS). I use HLS for the Roku profiles, as it allows trick play functionality that is lost using TS.

Yes, if you do not specify the target codec, Serviio will pass through the codec as is. So if you only need audio transcoded, it doesn't touch the video. I do this for lossless audio on the Roku, and the 4K HDR video passes through intact and will trigger the HDR flag on my TV. Sometimes the audio is fine but the video needs transcoding, and it works that way as well.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

bkeith4web

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:01 pm

OK, I didn't realize that mpeg was actually mpeg2ps, I missed that in the documentation. So that's what I'm using and I can get my vizio and sony blu-ray working fine with mpeg aka program streams when the source through Serviio is a video file on my windows PC.

The online source still doesn't work for either of them and I"ve tried every combo of container, video and audio codec that I can and the closest I can get is audio but no video on the vizio. They both supposedly support h264/avc but I'm not sure what level and the doco on those products is so bad anyway, they don't differentiate between what they support through the USB drive vs. through DLNA vs. through any other input, so it's pretty useless. The Sony support person I talked to new less about this than I do, so no help there. Not sure what else I can try throwing at them through Serviio.

Return to Serviio Support & Help