FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Different resolution makes Serviio transcode again?

<<

mikelucky

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:37 pm

Different resolution makes Serviio transcode again?

Different resolution makes Serviio transcode again and again
For example,I watch the video in size 1080P,Serviio will transcode and create some temporary files in the temp folder.
But,when I change the size ton 720P,Serviio will delete all the temprorary files of 1080P,then the temp folder will be empty again.
I don't understand why Serviio can't store temp files at the same time in different resolution?
<<

mikelucky

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:03 pm

Re: Different resolution makes Serviio transcode again?

Have you met this problem?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:05 pm

I'm not certain exactly what you are describing. How are you changing the resolution of what you're watching? What are you using as your player?

Serviio profiles do not alter the output resolution. It can reduce bitrate, but that in itself doesn't change the resolution. It can change the video codec, but that might only change the resolution if you are watching a 4K video and need it transcoded to MPEG2 (for example). Serviio doesn't know what resolution your TV is capable of. It simply determines the TV make/model if possible and looks for the closest match in its profiles file. The profile is what tells Serviio if transcoding is called for and what format to use. Once that's determined, it simply transcodes the file in real time and streams it to the player. As you've noted, it uses a temporary folder location for those transcoded files. If you stop and start the video, it will continue to stream using those transcoded files. But if the stream is stopped and then you select a different video, or a different player begins streaming the same video, those transcoded files are deleted and it begins anew.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

mikelucky

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:44 am

atc98092 wrote:I'm not certain exactly what you are describing. How are you changing the resolution of what you're watching? What are you using as your player?

Serviio profiles do not alter the output resolution. It can reduce bitrate, but that in itself doesn't change the resolution. It can change the video codec, but that might only change the resolution if you are watching a 4K video and need it transcoded to MPEG2 (for example). Serviio doesn't know what resolution your TV is capable of. It simply determines the TV make/model if possible and looks for the closest match in its profiles file. The profile is what tells Serviio if transcoding is called for and what format to use. Once that's determined, it simply transcodes the file in real time and streams it to the player. As you've noted, it uses a temporary folder location for those transcoded files. If you stop and start the video, it will continue to stream using those transcoded files. But if the stream is stopped and then you select a different video, or a different player begins streaming the same video, those transcoded files are deleted and it begins anew.

I use MediaBrowser,and I can change the quality(High/Medium/Low) in MediaBrowser
When I change the quality,it will rescode again and delete all the temp files before.
<<

mikelucky

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:44 pm

Anyone online?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:33 pm

OK, MediaBrowser. That switch isn't changing the resolution per se, but as I mentioned it's changing the bitrate. And that is going to require stopping the transcoding and starting over. It was originally transcoding at a certain bitrate, and when you change the quality setting you are requesting a different bitrate. There's no way for Serviio to reuse the previously transcoded files, so it has to start over.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

mikelucky

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:55 am

atc98092 wrote:OK, MediaBrowser. That switch isn't changing the resolution per se, but as I mentioned it's changing the bitrate. And that is going to require stopping the transcoding and starting over. It was originally transcoding at a certain bitrate, and when you change the quality setting you are requesting a different bitrate. There's no way for Serviio to reuse the previously transcoded files, so it has to start over.

I see...Well,could I make Serviio save all the temp files before?Sometimes I watch the video with Apple devices and I will change to low quality.But,sometime I watch the same video with Sony TV,I will change to high quality.For the same video,I would like to save the temp files and I will clean up manually.
Does Serviio support it?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:44 pm

No, Serviio does not support retaining previously transcoded files. The problem is it would become a storage capacity issue, as well as the need to track the title and transcoding settings for each stream. The transcoded files will take about as much space as the original file, so keeping multiple copies would require a large storage space. And then the internal tracking Serviio would have to do to know which title was transcoded at what setting, and if that matches what is now being requested, would be a nightmare to program.
Dan

<<

mikelucky

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:02 am

atc98092 wrote:No, Serviio does not support retaining previously transcoded files. The problem is it would become a storage capacity issue, as well as the need to track the title and transcoding settings for each stream. The transcoded files will take about as much space as the original file, so keeping multiple copies would require a large storage space. And then the internal tracking Serviio would have to do to know which title was transcoded at what setting, and if that matches what is now being requested, would be a nightmare to program.

I see...But,as you know,many videos on websites can be transcoded in different quality,and they can be stored for serveral weeks or even forever.How do they make that?And,I'm planning to build a website with videos,how could I do?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:35 pm

The Internet providers usually have multiple versions of the same title, so no transcoding is required to provide different resolutions. But they also use something called Adaptive bitrate to adjust the stream on the fly. However, you have to remember that they have spent a lot of money to have the hardware to support that sort of functionality. For a home system, or even a small public facing media server, it would likely be simpler to have copies of the title with different levels of bitrates available. How you would configure that so the user can select the proper version, I can't say.
Dan

<<

mikelucky

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:41 am

atc98092 wrote:The Internet providers usually have multiple versions of the same title, so no transcoding is required to provide different resolutions. But they also use something called Adaptive bitrate to adjust the stream on the fly. However, you have to remember that they have spent a lot of money to have the hardware to support that sort of functionality. For a home system, or even a small public facing media server, it would likely be simpler to have copies of the title with different levels of bitrates available. How you would configure that so the user can select the proper version, I can't say.

Could I configure Serviio in a fixed quality and make no one can change the quality?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:07 pm

I would think that might be possible, but it would be buried within a jar file for MediaBrowser. I would have no idea what file that is or how to edit that.
Dan

<<

mikelucky

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:47 pm

atc98092 wrote:I would think that might be possible, but it would be buried within a jar file for MediaBrowser. I would have no idea what file that is or how to edit that.

Yeap,I am looking forward.If this comes true,I think you can make a business success.

Return to Serviio Support & Help