FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Web Media Browser Cache

<<

mrburritoman

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:49 am

Web Media Browser Cache

There is only one annoying issue that I can't figure out how to solve. When I play a video in the web based Media Browser it only caches ~5 minutes ahead of where I am in the video. When I try to jump ahead it won't let me jump past the cached section.

Is there a way to allow it to jump past the cached section?
Is there a way to have it cache more of the video?

Other than that this is an amazing piece of software that has done everything that I have asked of it.
Thanks!
Using Serviio since v0.3.1
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:41 pm

Re: Web Media Browser Cache

That's not MediaBrowser that is caching the video. That is Serviio itself, as it is transcoding the file while you are watching. How far ahead the video is cached is solely controlled by the speed of the computer Serviio is running on. You will find that the longer you watch the video, the further along the transcoding has been accomplished and the further you can fast forward.

One thing that permits jumping past the cached amount is dependent on the format the media is being transcoded into. To my understanding (and I certainly could be wrong), only HLS/AppleHTTP permits that. I have no idea what format Serviio uses to transcode for MediaBrowser. But you could look in the Serviio temp folder while a video is playing (location identified in the Serviio console under Delivery/Transcoding). If you see a file named playlist.m3u8 and a whole bunch of files that start with segment, then it's using HLS and you should be able to jump ahead in the video.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Serviio Support & Help