FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Memory Issue with MediaBrowser and Android tablet

<<

as400jockey

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:57 pm

Memory Issue with MediaBrowser and Android tablet

I have several wimpy Android tablets - 7 inch, dual core, but only 1GB ram. Horribly slow, and useless for nearly everything... like browsing, or streaming video (HBO, Slingbox, etc). But they do OK with streaming audio.

In Serviio (v1.10.x), I have various streaming sources set up, such as RadioParadise. Stream is at http://stream-tx3.radioparadise.com:80/mp3-192 . Set up as Live Stream, Audio.

If I use this little tablet to stream from MediaBrowser for Radio Paradise, at some point (several hours, or overnight) The MediaBrowser window will freeze, and the little tablet will complain that the page is using too much memory. I then reboot the tablet and can start again, and it's happy for another several hours.

If I use this tablet to run the RadioParadise app, it'll run for days without blinking. Same stream, AFAIK.

So it appears to be some issue with memory on the browser if I run it through MediaBrowser.

I have installed Serviio v2 onto a different machine and am going to leave the little tablet tuned into Mediabrowser for that server... run it all night to see what happens. I'll report back here after my little test.

Just for fun, I have other tablets with much better specs - 8 inch, quad core, 2Ghz, 2GB ram, FHD screen. Work great for everything you're supposed to be able to do with a little tablet. I have that one streaming from my Serviio v1.10 server and will see how long it'll run before it complains, if ever.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:08 pm

Re: Memory Issue with MediaBrowser and Android tablet

Not certain which browser you were using, but you might try a different one, just as a test. I rarely use MediaBrowser myself, since everything I stream to can play DLNA sources without using a browser. That too might be an alternative for you. Have you tried using VLC as your streaming player? I'm not familiar with other Android apps that might work for you are well, but I have no doubt there are others.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

as400jockey

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:54 pm

20210420_161019_resized_1.jpg
20210420_161019_resized_1.jpg (176.31 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
Hopefully I attached the screen shot.

Using Chrome straight out of the box.

My test pointing at the Serviio v2 server - same result. That was my guess, but it's confirmed.

I like MediaBrowser because it's simple. All my ripped CDs are there and all my streams are there. So it fails on this wimpy tablet (2 core, 1.2GHz, 1GB ram, 1024x600 screen), but so far hasn't failed on the decent tablet (4 core, 2GHz, 2GB ram, FHD screen 2.4 and 5Ghx wireless, etc).

My recollection is that the wimpy tablet will run all day pointed at my ripped music, and this symptom only happens with streams (which appear to be one song of infinite length). Today I'll point it at a genre with hundreds of songs and see if it's still running tomorrow morning.

Just fishing. Not critical. If I had any brains I'd toss these wimpy tablets. I had an earlier version of the wimpy tablets that infinitely wimpier. Those i DID toss...
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:53 pm

Yeah, using VLC isn't as simple and clean as MediaBrowser, but it might be a no-cost solution for the wimpy players. It doesn't need as many resources as a browser does.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

as400jockey

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:19 pm

Decent tablet has been streaming RadioParadise through MediaBrowser for 4 days straight without a burp.

Wimpy tablet has never made it longer than 20 hours or so.

still, the engineer in me can't let go of something that almost works... I'll try VLC just for giggles. This is the streaming device for my garage, so my wife won't be bothered with this bad behavior...

Return to Serviio Support & Help