FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Cannot play files

<<

the_hamburger

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:51 pm

Cannot play files

Hi,

I've had Serviio running for many years and then a few months ago it stopped playing video's on all devices Samsung UA55RU7400KXXT TV, iPhone 8Player , AppleTV 8Player. Then it stopped playing all files, I can still see all the folders that are shared and all the files in those folders.

On the iPhone I get an Error Initialization failed message. No messages on the other devices.

Serviio 2.1

OSX 10.13.6

log attached

Any help would be gratefully received!

Thanks
Attachments
serviio.log
(379.29 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:58 pm

Re: Cannot play files

That log is just a snippet of the full log. I can find no attempt to play a file within it, but perhaps I simply missed it.

From what I can see in the file, Serviio appears to be running normally. So on all devices you still see all titles, but when attempting to play one you either get an error message (iPhone) or nothing happens? No initial attempt to play and then a return to the previous screen?

I don't have 8Player on my phone, but I do have VLC. I just tried playing something and it began instantly. In fact, I was shocked how quickly the playback started, as I'm used to a slight pause while the player buffers.

Just as a test, give VLC a try. That way we can confirm the basics are working.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

the_hamburger

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:35 pm

Thanks for having a look.

I tried VLC (IOS) again I can see the server and all the folder tree and files. When I click to play I just get an image of a music symbol and a non spinning white wheel.

I tried 8Player again and the Samsung TV and all still not playing.

I attach another copy of the log, which I can see has been updated since I just trie the TV and 2 apps on iPhone.

My LAN comprises of a Fibre modem a router and access point. I have changed Router and access point , could that be a problem? I cant remember if the problem started before or after changing.

Also I'm looking at the connected devices list , The Samsung TV is showing as a green dot 192.168.1.137 but the iPhone is an orange ? 192.168.1.140.

Hope this info is helpful.

Thanks again
Attachments
serviio.log
(325.39 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:49 pm

Yeah, no sweat about the orange indicator. Many devices don't report their status via the DLNA protocol accurately. None of my Roku devices do, nor my Shield players. In fact, the only green I see are the two TVs (Samsung and LG) and my two Yamaha AVRs, which can stream music.

I still can't find any line commanding a playback in the log. I can find your iPhone IP address 18 times, but it's all from an M-SEARCH response. probably your browsing the titles.

If you have the time available, you might try removing Serviio from the computer (I can't tell you how to do that on a Mac, sorry), reboot and then install Serviio again. My guess is something somewhere is corrupt, and I can't tell where. A clean install should clear any such issue up.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

the_hamburger

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed May 05, 2021 12:08 pm

At first just re-installing had no effect.

But uninstall then reboot , reinstall and reboot worked like a charm!

Thanks for the help!

Next project 1972 Vespa, any tips on getting the fly wheel off?

Cheers!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed May 05, 2021 1:11 pm

WD-40, penetrating oil, sweat, cussing, some bruised knuckles perhaps? :P

Never played with a Vespa, but had many cars and motorcycles over the years that I worked on. Sometimes things like that simply require sheer determination and a big hammer!
Dan

Return to Serviio Support & Help