FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio disappearing from TV, 2.1

<<

DNolan

Serviio newbie

Post Fri May 21, 2021 12:00 am

Serviio disappearing from TV, 2.1

Hi all, I'm a Serviio pro user and i use serviio for playback of local files across my home lan. For the last few months i've been having issues with Serviio having difficulty maintaining a DLNA connection to my TV. Sometimes the Serviio device doesn't show up under dlna devices. Sometimes it shows up, but attempting to access any files takes a very long time. Sometimes it goes through, other times it times out and fails. I cannot find any commonality that indicates any sort of pattern to the failures.

As Serviio has always been rocksolid for me, i've tried everything else before posting here. I have done troubleshooting on all my network switches. I have even gone so far as to replace all the cat5e in my house with cat6 to ensure it's not a bandwidth issue.

I can no longer rule out Serviio as the culprit of my problems.

I use an LG TV, i open the smartshare feature and access serviio that way.

When i turn the TV on, the serviio server will appear in the list of devices. Sometimes it will connect just fine and have zero issues. Sometimes, it disappears randomly. I cannot find a causative issue on my network. The PC it's running off of is high spec and i've ensured all drivers are up to date on the machine. I even went so far as to replace the hard drive incase it was failing hardware.

I've checked the log files of serviio and it looks like nearly 30mb of log files have been created since the 11th of march. Please find them attached to this thread. These are the most recent logs
logmain.7z
(299.71 KiB) Downloaded 214 times

These are older logs
log.7z
(279.04 KiB) Downloaded 207 times

I have of course reinstalled the application multiple times. I am using the correct profile for my LG TV and i've ensured there are no dodgy wires or faulty connections, having replaced my entire ethernet network in my home. I have ensured all ports are open ( That i can find mention of. Google has sparse info on what ports serviio needs. I am of course using UPNP and have serviio and my network gateway set to accept UPNP devices. As an aside, If you could also furnish myself with a fully complete list of all ports to open on both the local machine and the network gate i would be appreciative. )

Up until now i had not considered the problem to be caused by serviio, as i have been using it for years without issue. However, i am at the point where it cannot be anything else. If someone from the support team could review the log files and come back to me i would most appreciate it. I have gone to great expense and lengths to rule out any other possibility.

Also, to mention, i am unsure if it is related, however attempting to access the mediashare application through a web browser on the same local machine as serviio doesn't work correctly. No files populate in the web browser and no content can be viewed. Unsure if it's related but this is also happening.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri May 21, 2021 1:48 pm

Re: Serviio disappearing from TV, 2.1

You didn't state what OS you are using. From the logs, it appears to be Windows, but I don't know what version.

I see many strange errors in the logs, and I have no idea what they mean. Most likely only Zip can really answer what is going on. The fact it's intermittent is suspicious. One thing you might do is to go into your Device Manager, find your network card, and disable power management on it. Perhaps the NIC is going to "sleep" when you're attempting to see Serviio.

With MediaBrowser, I sometimes find it takes a bit (5-10 seconds) to populate the grid with my media. No idea why, as sometimes it's there immediately. But it has always appeared if I give it a little time.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

DNolan

Serviio newbie

Post Sat May 22, 2021 3:30 am

Thank you for your reply. I have previously disabled all power saving options on my NIC, Hard drive, as well as core parking on my CPU and disabled various other power saving options. My OS is windows 10 20H2.
<<

DNolan

Serviio newbie

Post Mon May 24, 2021 10:01 pm

Hi, has anyone had a chance to review my ticket?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue May 25, 2021 4:49 pm

I am traveling this week, so not able to look closely at this. And I'm just a mod on the forum, not the developer. Zip is the only person that can provide more answers. You might need to send him a private message to alert him to this thread.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

DNolan

Serviio newbie

Post Sat May 29, 2021 6:02 pm

Thank you for your reply, however i am unable to send private messages as i am a new member and not allowed to use this feature. Could you by any chance do me a favour and send one on my behalf?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun May 30, 2021 2:01 am

I will do so, but I just checked for another user and the developer hasn't been online for more than two weeks. I don't know if there's something going on with him. It's been a crazy 18 months for the entire world, so let's give him a little time to get back on.
Dan

<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:04 pm

You could check for some tips in viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10289#p72912

But generally it'll be either a recent OS update (NIC driver etc) or a router issue.

Check the log that Serviio uses the proper IP address in case you have multihomed NIC.
<<

DNolan

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:13 pm

Hi Zip,

I've double checked i have the correct network drivers and have run diagnostics with intels network tools, all tests are green and OK.

I've disabled IPv6 multicast on my network and ensured the correct network adapter is set on the serviio console.

Issue is still present. Could you review?
<<

DNolan

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:00 am

Hi, If you could come back to me i'd appreciate it. I've reviewed all threads and cannot find an answer to this issue.
<<

DNolan

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:02 am

Also, to add, issue is and was present across 2 different OS installs, and 2 separate NICs. I upgraded 6 months ago, issue was present on old and new motherboard.

Please can you take another look?
<<

DNolan

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:16 pm

Hello, have you abandoned this ticket? Please if you can look deeper into my issue i'd appreciate it. I've paid for 2 separate versions of serviio and i do not want that money to go to waste. Please tell me what you need and i will provide it to you. I need to get this issue resolved. Thank you.
<<

DNolan

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:32 pm

It's extremely disappointing you have chosen not to help me. I've decided to stop using serviio, and i'm making the switch to a different DLNA solution. Quite frankly i'm extremely upset and disappointed that you've abandoned any attempt to help me and i feel aggrieved. I bought and paid for 2 separate versions of serviio, and this is quite frankly unacceptable. Please close this thread and i will point people to here when they ask me what i think of serviio.
<<

sonmezroy

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:54 am

Got a Philips 40PFL9606k / 02 TV and try to stream videos from my PC (XP Prof SP3, AMD Dual Core) with serviio. I also stream with TVersity with no problems - except that it doesn't allow any fast foreward or rewind with the videos, which works fine with serviio - as long as it works. That's my problem: When I have started serviio servicing, switch on my TV and go into the "Browse PC" mode, the serviio server is visible on the TV and I can play the shared videos from my PC on it. But after a few minutes the serviio server disappears from the TV display (which does not happen with the TVersity server if it is active). I can only make serviio appear again on my TV by switching it off and on again. Has anybody any idea why?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:44 pm

sonmezroy wrote:Got a Philips 40PFL9606k / 02 TV and try to stream videos from my PC (XP Prof SP3, AMD Dual Core) with serviio. I also stream with TVersity with no problems - except that it doesn't allow any fast foreward or rewind with the videos, which works fine with serviio - as long as it works. That's my problem: When I have started serviio servicing, switch on my TV and go into the "Browse PC" mode, the serviio server is visible on the TV and I can play the shared videos from my PC on it. But after a few minutes the serviio server disappears from the TV display (which does not happen with the TVersity server if it is active). I can only make serviio appear again on my TV by switching it off and on again. Has anybody any idea why?

It's always tough to evaluate someone's situation without being there. Serviio itself has no issues that would cause that to happen. My Serviio servers are visible 24/7 by all of my devices. But I do remember my daughter's LG TV would have issues with her Serviio computer disappearing from the TV view. But using an external player, such as a Fire TV, Roku or Shield, and Serviio is always there. That tends to point to the TV being the problem, and there's no setting within Serviio that can resolve that. Personally, I stopped using the TV interfaces many years ago, instead using Blu Ray players, or streaming media players like Roku of the Nvidia Shield as my player. Samsung in particular has a terrible user interface for DLNA sources, but LG isn't much better. I haven't owned a Philips TV in over 20 years, so no idea what theirs are like.
Dan

Return to Serviio Support & Help