FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Restricting folder access with username not working?

<<

ianmclein

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:59 pm

Restricting folder access with username not working?

Hi,

I am a long time user of Serviio (Mac OS), and recently upgraded to Pro so that I could use users to restrict access to specific shared folders. Upon setting up a single shared folder, and applying a user to it, it appears as though anyone can still access the folder through any DLNA client, despite me adding a user to it. Clients on both Apple TV (8player Pro) and VLC on an iPad can still easily access the folder with no username or password prompt. Am I missing something simple?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:51 am

Re: Restricting folder access with username not working?

You have to apply the user to the specific player as well on the Status page of the Serviio console. Just remember that the restriction will apply to every user of that particular device. Using a DLNA client, there's no method of applying different users to the same device.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

ianmclein

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:57 am

atc98092 wrote:You have to apply the user to the specific player as well on the Status page of the Serviio console. Just remember that the restriction will apply to every user of that particular device. Using a DLNA client, there's no method of applying different users to the same device.

Thanks atc98092. But isn't each player tied to an IP? Meaning, if IP's are assigned via DHCP, a particular player could one IP one day, and then another the next, and when it receives a new IP it will show up as a "new" player, and hence not have a username that was previously associated with it?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:37 pm

True, that can happen. Depending on what is providing DHCP services on your network (most likely your router), you might be able to adjust the lease timeout of the IP address lease. On my DSL modem, it's set for 7 days, and there is a setting that tells the modem to make each assigned IP address a reservation, so the IP address never changes for that device. But almost all routers will assign the same IP address to a specific device as long as it's not offline for quite some time.

Look in your router for something like " Automatically set DHCP reservations on DHCP IP allocation", which will ensure your device always has the same IP address. You could also assign a static IP address to the device, assuming it supports that (most smaller devices, like a Roku, does not allow entering a static IP). But I recommend not messing with static addresses unless you have a bit of networking knowledge.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

ianmclein

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:28 pm

Thanks, Im a 30 year networking vet, so, using statics wouldn't be a problem, but I do prefer to restrict static IP's to "services" (like my servers), versus "clients". Plus, if a guest were to join the network, they would get an address via DHCP, and immediately be able to see all shared content. It would be nice if access control could truly be applied to a shared folder, regardless of client. Perhaps an enhancement request.....Thanks again.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:50 pm

Yep, I only use statics on my servers and a couple of other devices. And since my DSL modem automatically makes every DHCP request a reservation, the dynamic IP address never change. I noticed my reservation list is getting cluttered, so I'll probably do a flush of the table pretty soon and let everything get a fresh IP. I'll have to get my Serviio settings done again, but since my two primary players (both the Nvidia Shield) work just fine with the generic profile, I won't have to rush. :D
Dan

<<

Lodoss

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:22 pm

I'm having a similar problem connecting my serviio console installed on a WIndows 10 PC to recognize a folder on my Mac which is on the same network. TRied using the ip address of the Mac and creating a network disk in Explorer but Serviio still can not recognize the folder. Also did the security update to JAva on the mac for full disk access but still no folders showing on Serviio. What would be the step in getting these two machines connected?
Thanks
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:34 pm

Lodoss wrote:I'm having a similar problem connecting my serviio console installed on a WIndows 10 PC to recognize a folder on my Mac which is on the same network. TRied using the ip address of the Mac and creating a network disk in Explorer but Serviio still can not recognize the folder. Also did the security update to JAva on the mac for full disk access but still no folders showing on Serviio. What would be the step in getting these two machines connected?
Thanks

By default, Serviio runs using the System Service account, which has little permissions for network access. You see the share when you use the console, because you're using your personal user account that has network access. But the Serviio service doesn't see that network location, because it doesn't have permission to do so. The simplest way to resolve this is to change the user account the Serviio service uses to the one you use to log into the computer.
Dan

<<

Lodoss

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:53 pm

How does one do this? "The simplest way to resolve this is to change the user account the Serviio service uses to the one you use to log into the computer."
Tx
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:04 am

In Windows, runs the Services app. It can be found in the Control Panel, or just hit the search bar and type services. When it opens, scroll down to Serviio and open it (double-click). In the properties window that opens, You will see a "Log On" tab. Click that tab and you'll see it's running under the Local System account. Click the "This Account" button, then click Browse. In the Select User window, click Advanced. In the window that opens, click "Find Now", and you'll see a list of every user account on the computer. Click the name you want to use and click OK, then click OK again. You are back on the Log On tab, and the name you selected should be in the text box. Now enter the password for that account, and then confirm it. Windows does not validate the password, so if you get it wrong it doesn't tell you. Now click "Apply".

Serviio will now use that user account the next time it starts. If you want it to change immediately, either stop and start the service (the buttons are on the General tab), or simply reboot the computer. As long as you have the password correct, Serviio is now running under the new user account. Serviio should now be able to access the same network resources that you can access when you are logged into the computer.
Dan

<<

Lodoss

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:48 pm

Thanks for your help.
Michel
<<

chaksur

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:52 am

I use statics on my servers and a couple of other devices. And since my DSL modem automatically makes every DHCP request a reservation, the dynamic IP address never change.

Return to Serviio Support & Help