FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Using Chromecast with Google TV as a dlna media player?

<<

n3mmr

DLNA master

Post Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:15 am

Using Chromecast with Google TV as a dlna media player?

What is the most comfortable way to use the recent Chromecast with Google TV as a media player for Serviio 2.1 content?

How do you configure the Chromecast?
Do you run an App on the Chromecast and, if so, which app?
How do you ensure that Serviio identifies the Chromecast (+app?) properly and selects an appropriate profile?
How do you write that proper profile?

Ideally, if using a media player app, I would like to always communicate with said app, w/o having to explicitly start the app first, and if I start, say, chromecasting from my phone, the chromecast session should temporarily override the player app.

But, if Chromecast+app can't be set up quite as comfortably as that, I can live with "almost as good" or "whatever works".
Serviio 2.3 in a jail on TrueNAS 13 running on an HP N54L w 5*4 TB spinning rust disks.
The media files are on the same machine.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:45 pm

Re: Using Chromecast with Google TV as a dlna media player?

I don't have a Chromecast, but I do have several players that run on Android, as does the CC. I use Kodi as my primary player, but there are many other player options in the Google Play store. VLC is a great player with a terrible UI, but it doesn't require any configuration to use it with Serviio. It will recognize a uPnP player on your network automatically. Setting up Kodi or MrMC is a bit time consuming, but both are great players.

As far as profiles, most Android players can handle almost anything without needing transcoding. The new Onn 4K player I just bought to test doesn't support bitstreaming the lossless audio codecs, so I'll likely write a short profile for it. My guess is the Chromecast will perform almost identical to this particular player, so unless you have Dolby TrueHD or DTS-Master Audio on your media it should work fine. If you do have media with those codecs, depending on mow the media was created there might be a basic Dolby Digital or DTS track you can change to. When I create the profile, I'll likely make it transcode all audio to Dolby Digital, just to keep things simple.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Serviio Support & Help