FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Question about serving playlists

<<

freedomfries

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:42 pm

Question about serving playlists

I have Serviio running on unRaid. It's picking up my library and playing fine. When i browse content served, I find a folder called "playlists", but it's empty. I did some research and my understanding is Serviio finds playlists in your media library and adds them there? I have loads of playlists in .m3u but none of them are showing up.
I saw a post about the file path requirements, and mine seem like they should work.

For instance I have a custom .m3u playlist for Jazz stored in a subfolder called "Playlists" in my media directory that is being scanned by serviio, one of the entries is formatted as such:

..\Albums\Charlie Parker\Broadcast Performances\03 Bebop.mp3

None of that playlist show up as a playlist. Any pointers on troubleshooting this? I feel like I'm doing exactly as prescribed.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:38 pm

Re: Question about serving playlists

It's probably the path. Might be best to use absolute paths, such as \\mnt\media\albums\charlie parker, etc. Just what your actual path is on your NAS. Your ..|Albums might not be processed accurately by Serviio if it doesn't see the full path name.

I just opened one of my m3u files and this is what I have for a path. Windows, naturally, but it does work. G:\Movies_E\5 Card Stud (1968).mkv

Don't forget that the Playlist file must also be within a Serviio shared library location. I have grouped all of my playlists (m3u and pls) in a single folder within one of my Serviio library locations. They all show up just fine. But I did remember problems when I wasn't using the absolute path.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

freedomfries

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:08 pm

Well it took many attempts but I figured it out. This probably only applies to unRAID installs, but I'm posting it here for others:

-I turned on "Keep library automatically updated"
- under the settings for my shared folders, I checked "use the poller mechanism for monitoring this folder" - not sure which one of these two made the actual difference, but I can say that manually rescanning the folders never added the playlists.
- the playlists were edited to show full paths. Keep in mind that the correct file path to be used starts with the mapped folder directory root, NOT the absolute system path. This is because Serviio runs as a docker under unRAID, and so all the folders accessed by unRAID are mapped. You can use the mapping settings in the serviio docker configuration to figure out what your path needs to be and use a text editor like Notepad++ to edit your playlist accordingly.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:50 pm

Nice work. It might be applicable to other NAS devices as well, so well worth posting your solution. Thanks!
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Serviio Support & Help