FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Root folder poster image question

<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:01 pm

Root folder poster image question

Looking for some help in solving an "issue".

In a TV Shows area, I have the Root folder of TV show names....example: Battlestar Galactica, Billions. Underneath that folder I have, Season 01, 02 etc.

Each folder of the seasons has a "folder.jpg" and those show up find when I browse into the 2nd level of Billions where I would select the seasons.

But in the parent, I have a folder.jpg, when all the shows and others...like battlestar...the folder.jpg doesn't show at all....it is just "blank".

How do I correct this? I would like to see the parent folder for the entire series, but it remains blank even with a folder.jpg in place.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:54 pm

Re: Root folder poster image question

Your images didn't post, so if they're necessary to find an answer you might need to re-post them.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:07 am

If you're looking at it via chrome, it is because the mix of https and http. I had to tell chrome to allow http in the site settings......it's stupid.

If you view in firefox or Edge, it will render images properly......or tell chrome to allow http.

I double checked and it's a real pita.

Thanks.
Chris
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:37 am

Thanks, yes I'm using Chrome. I'll switch browsers and look when my work cell quits ringing. :D
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:38 am

Edge didn't work either, but FIrefox did. Here's my guess. This is from the metadata support page:
Video: dvdcover.jpg, movie.jpg, name including "poster".jpg, {media_file_name}.jpg, {media_file_name}.tbn, {media_file_name}.thm, {media_file_name}-thumb.jpg, {media_file_name}-poster.jpg

For audio, just naming the file as poster.jpg appears to be valid. But for video, it needs a different name, perhaps just "billions.jpg".
Dan

<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:59 am

I've made it billions.jpg instead of folder.jpg.....forced refresh of the libraries and force meta rescan.

That will take at least 2 hours based on my library size.

Will report back tomorrow if it fixes the issue.

Thanks!
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:14 pm

That didn't work, still have empty/non image with it changed to billions.jpg.

I assume it doesn't have to be "Billions.jpg" ...... cap?
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:50 pm

I switched it to "dvdcover.jpg" and started the rescan....see if that makes any difference.

Used this as reference which is what I think you pasted from:

https://serviio.org/index.php?option=co ... icle&id=12
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:30 pm

Yep, that was the page I copied the info from. Let's hope your rescan resolves the issue.
Dan

<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:39 pm

Tried: dvdcover.jpg

That didn't work.

Good lord, this shouldn't be that hard... :(
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:57 pm

What I think "might" be the issue is that there is no actual "media file" in the root, just the folders, so even though the file (.jpg) is present, without a "media file" within the root, then it just ignores the .jpg??

Copied from that page:

If there is a local image file representing a music album or a video it can be used.

I wouldn't want to have to add a "dummy" media file as that would then get included in the "last added"....

I wish Zip would chime in here.

EDIT: Sent him a PM with link, hopefully he can provide some guidance.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:02 pm

What metadata extractor are you using, in the console? I guess "No Descriptive Metadata"?

What the "Look for a local DVD cover image or poster (e.g. dvdcover.jpg, movie.jpg, etc.)" checkbox does it:
- assigns the same image to all media files in a folder
- it doesn't have the concept of series / seasons / etc - just folders

When you then browse, the "season" folders get the image of the first file in that folder (and as they're all the same it works in your case).
The root folder has no media file in it, so it'll not find the "first media file" to use its cover as the cover of the folder.

This would work if you used some descriptive metadata (online, or other) - but I guess that's not how you wish to organise your library.

All in all, the thing you're trying to do will not work. There is no folder-based cover image (only media file based covers).
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:47 pm

Hi Zip,

Thanks for responding.

Here is a screenshot of my settings. I would think that just "having" a folder.jpg in the root on top of all the sub folders would assign THAT image as the ROOT entry image for THAT folder and the drill down would use subsequent "folder.jpg" if they are present and clearly shown by the images that the concept does work as S1 - S5 all have folder.jpg shown because there are actual media files there.

IMO, the folder should be assigned the folder.jpg image (if present) regardless if there is any media there to support it.

Cosmetic? Sure...but logically that is how it should work if I make the effort to actually assign a folder.jpg at that level so I can "visually" cue what the CORE series is......like Knight rider (not shown here)...there are 4 seasons...there is a "complete" series image that encompasses all 4 seasons and should be shown as the root folder/embedded image then 4 individual series folder.jpg images to represent each unique season.

Anyway, here is the settings I have set up:

<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:51 pm

I'd also like to mention, maybe there should be "tooltips" when you hover over an option?

Maybe something is not selected correctly?

I want serviio to pull data for the info of the video / movie description of plot line etc......but NOT pull or use external images for the poster.....only the poster that I provide locally (lots of time invested in that part of my file organization).
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:09 pm

zip wrote:This would work if you used some descriptive metadata (online, or other) - but I guess that's not how you wish to organise your library.

How "should" my library look to make this work??
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:48 am

As I said, folders have no images in the Serviio library. It's not stored in the DB. Only media files do.

The image you see in the folder for season is a random (or first) media file's poster.

It might be confusing to show the same image 2 levels up - and it might also be too slow DB query.

I can think of only one way to have this work - use online metadata. But then you'd probably lose the season image.

Return to Serviio Support & Help