Post Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:17 pm

"Could not read block..." error on some .jpg files in log

I'm getting a "could not read metadata" error on some (maybe about 20%) of my .jpg files. After the preliminary info including file name I get this (the values vary with each file):
Could not read block (block start: 251723776, block length: -251717706, data length: 6070)

Using mediainfo and file properties I can't see anything obviously different between files that have this problem and ones that don't, even things like chroma subsampling and color space don't seem to matter. It sets on a couple files in a folder, but not on other files in the same folder taken on the same device at the same time. I tried rotating them back and forth based on somebody else's post about missing some metadata, no difference. Whether they were edited with photoshop or anything else doesn't seem to matter, and they are from a variety of cameras and phones over a 20-year period so I can't really say a particular device caused the problem.

(edited) the ones with this problem won't display as a thumbnail or when viewing the folder on my TV, for example in one folder there are about 20 pictures and 19 of them display no problem, the one that gets this error won't display at all on the TV (DLNA client). Plus it bulks up the log even at info level with thousands of these entries. Ideas greatly appreciated...
Brian