FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio stopped sharing new stuff.

<<

oldyellr

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:40 pm

Serviio stopped sharing new stuff.

I have free Serviio 2.2.1. Lately anything I've added to my music and movies has not been appearing on my smart tv. What has happened?
Win 7 Laptop, Samsung UN55MU6300F Smart TV, DIR-867 AC1750 Wi-Fi Router, Serviio v2.2.1
<<

priitv8

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:14 pm

Re: Serviio stopped sharing new stuff.

I have a similar problem - the list of Last Added Albums can not be retrieved from Serviio 2.2.1 (macOS version)
IMG_3547.PNG
IMG_3547.PNG (410.17 KiB) Viewed 5626 times
:
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:55 pm

Serviio has two methods of determining new files have been added in the media folders. One is the native file system hooks that tell Serviio something has changed in the folder. But sometimes it doesn't work correctly. In my case, I have about 9 different folders, and sometimes Windows will tell Serviio that something has changed, and other times it never updates.

For those cases, Serviio has an alternate method that's labeled as the Poller method. Go into the Serviio console and open your library file location for editing. In the setting screen, there is a box labeled "Use the poller mechanism for monitoring this folder". Click the box and then save the settings. Once you back out of that you have to press the Save button again at the bottom of the page. Serviio will now poll the folder on a regular basis for any file changes.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

oldyellr

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:05 am

I don't see ant Settings screen.
Win 7 Laptop, Samsung UN55MU6300F Smart TV, DIR-867 AC1750 Wi-Fi Router, Serviio v2.2.1
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:54 pm

Open the Serviio console in your browser. Go to your Library/Shared Folders. Open the shared folder where you store your media that isn't appearing for editing. It's the button on the far right of the row for the shared folder. In the screen that opens, you'll find the checkbox I mentioned about enabling the poller mechanism. Click OK, which closes the edit window, then at the bottom of the Shared Folders page click Save.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

oldyellr

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:46 pm

Thanks. That worked for the music (.mp3) I recently added, but not the movie (a 1.94 GB .mkv).
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:59 am

If your movies are in a different folder on your computer, you need to enable poller for that folder as well. It's specific to each folder, not a system wide setting.
Dan

<<

oldyellr

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:07 am

I enabled poller on all shared folders. I even downloaded another version of the movie, just smaller, but it turned out to be identical on VLC and didn't show up on Serviio either. However the original movie showed up on my Allshare link, that would be [PC]LOHN-LAPTOP in the image below. I stopped using Allshare because media would take a day to show up on my TV, while Serviio practically instant.

<<

priitv8

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:25 am

atc98092 wrote:For those cases, Serviio has an alternate method that's labeled as the Poller method. Go into the Serviio console and open your library file location for editing. In the setting screen, there is a box labeled "Use the poller mechanism for monitoring this folder".

I have the poller enabled since the early days of Serviio usage. The problem with non-showing categories has appeared only now.
What is more interesting - it works for movies but not for albums!

Another weird anomaly I have had always - the Serviio MediaBrowser will not show or play any media items. Can it be because I have turned off the transcoding?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:09 pm

I'm not certain if MediaBrowser is affected by the transcoding disable toggle. But MB does transcode virtually everything, so it's possible.

I don't recognize the app you're using on your phone to access Serviio, so I don't want to make any guesses about why nothing is visible. When Serviio added user accounts (started with version 2.0), you had to take a couple of extra steps to allow remote access to your media. Perhaps you have the users set correctly for movies but not for music. Just a wild guess at this point for me.
Dan

<<

priitv8

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:06 am

atc98092 wrote:I don't recognize the app you're using on your phone to access Serviio, so I don't want to make any guesses about why nothing is visible. When Serviio added user accounts (started with version 2.0), you had to take a couple of extra steps to allow remote access to your media. Perhaps you have the users set correctly for movies but not for music. Just a wild guess at this point for me.
It is the Video & TV SideView from Sony but I used it for easy screenshot only.
Actual problem is, that the behaviour is the same on my blu-ray player (Sony UBP-X1100ES). It says it can not find the server and then after spinning its cogwheel for a while, falls back to the list of DLNA servers.
IMG_3571.jpg
IMG_3571.jpg (74.68 KiB) Viewed 5384 times

atc98092 wrote:I'm not certain if MediaBrowser is affected by the transcoding disable toggle. But MB does transcode virtually everything, so it's possible.

With MB I have had 0 success from day 1.
Instead of typing, it is more easily explained via this screen recording: https://tinyurl.com/2p958d4b
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:57 pm

Your TinyURL link didn't work. Said the file had been removed.

Are you using a static IP address on your Serviio computer? Sony maintains a list of all detected DLNA servers, even if they aren't currently found on the network. If your Serviio PC IP address changes, the old address will still be shown in the Sony list. I have static IPs on my two media servers for that reason. It's possible you're trying to access the "old" entry.

Have you entered a user name to your Sony in the Serviio console? It's not required for network connected devices, but if you do assign a user to the device then that user has to be granted access to your media libraries. That too is done in the Serviio console. The user name is assigned to a device in the Status page (and again, it isn't necessary if you want that device to have access to your entire library), and the user is granted access to each library location under Library/Shared Folders. You have to grant permission to each shared folder you have for each user name. If you assign a user to a device but not grant them access to the folder, then nothing will be visible. And since MediaBrowser requires the use of a user name, that name must be granted access for MediaBrowser to see the media.
Dan

<<

priitv8

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:14 pm

Hi
atc98092 wrote:Your TinyURL link didn't work. Said the file had been removed.

Are you using a static IP address on your Serviio computer? Sony maintains a list of all detected DLNA servers, even if they aren't currently found on the network. If your Serviio PC IP address changes, the old address will still be shown in the Sony list. I have static IPs on my two media servers for that reason. It's possible you're trying to access the "old" entry.

Have you entered a user name to your Sony in the Serviio console? It's not required for network connected devices, but if you do assign a user to the device then that user has to be granted access to your media libraries. That too is done in the Serviio console. The user name is assigned to a device in the Status page (and again, it isn't necessary if you want that device to have access to your entire library), and the user is granted access to each library location under Library/Shared Folders. You have to grant permission to each shared folder you have for each user name. If you assign a user to a device but not grant them access to the folder, then nothing will be visible. And since MediaBrowser requires the use of a user name, that name must be granted access for MediaBrowser to see the media.

1) OK, i moved it to YouTube : https://youtu.be/9cG66sEY_dI
2) Serviio server has fixed IP address, but I have also re-created the server list on my Sony every now and then.
3) Thank you for clarifying the User grants! That sorted the MediaBrowser problem. Now I see them all! So basically, the YT video above just shows the expected behaviour. What confused me was the behaviour of the Artists category - it was populated, although no Albums or Songs were visible under them.
Still no luck with the Sony device and no, it has no user assigned. What is strange and noteworthy - Recently Added smart category works for movie folders, but not for Audio folders. That is strange!
PS I also find the message strange - Can not find the server... As if the server just does not respond to the device request.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:19 pm

For your Sony: what is the model number and what profile is Serviio assigning to it? I have heard of players with the wrong profile assigned and no media appears as playable.
Dan

<<

priitv8

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:53 am

atc98092 wrote:For your Sony: what is the model number and what profile is Serviio assigning to it? I have heard of players with the wrong profile assigned and no media appears as playable.

Its a UBP-X1100ES and all Sony BDP profiles work fine.
I may have not said it, but there is no problem with media playback.
The problem is only with the Recently added albums smart category.
This also used to work, but stopped recently, when I moved and had to relocate my whole HT setup. But I do not think anything on the LAN has been connected differently. Even the DHCP reserved addressing is the same.
Screenshot 2022-04-22 at 11.32.31.png
Screenshot 2022-04-22 at 11.32.31.png (210.99 KiB) Viewed 5377 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:44 pm

I'm out of my element now, as I don't use Serviio for music, just videos.

I wish someone with a newer Sony would write a new profile. I wrote the profile you're using about eight years ago, and I know it has to be out of date. I guarantee it doesn't handle 4K video accurately. I still have my BDP-S3500, but I have used it in many years, replacing it's online functionality first with a Roku and then with an Nvidia Shield. Sony's DLNA support continues to decline, although for all I know they stepped back up and made some changes.
Dan

<<

priitv8

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:37 am

Aaand, now, today, as if by magic - it started working again. After I added one new album, that is. But it still remembers also the previously added albums. So it is now solved.
Must have been a data error on some files.
atc98092 wrote:I wish someone with a newer Sony would write a new profile. I wrote the profile you're using about eight years ago, and I know it has to be out of date. I guarantee it doesn't handle 4K video accurately. I still have my BDP-S3500, but I have used it in many years, replacing it's online functionality first with a Roku and then with an Nvidia Shield. Sony's DLNA support continues to decline, although for all I know they stepped back up and made some changes.

I can guarantee you, that this profile has no problems whatsoever with media playback. 4K - check! Dolby Vision - check! Dolby Atmos - Check! Super-Audio CD - check!
Incidentally, effortless DSD playback without any setup needed (apart from picking proper Sony profiles for my bluray and AVR) were the main reasons, I opted for Serviio, after trying several of them.
There was only one server-side issue with 1080p videos not showing up in the list, if they had Dolby TrueHD audio track. I believe it was a FFMPEG metadata retrieve issue, but that was fixed in version 2.2 and I've been a happy user ever since.
<<

oldyellr

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:36 pm

Well, in the last 2 months I've added 2 videos in my torrents folder, which contains 3,985 Files, 600 Folders, and used the tricks recommended above, but they still don't appear on my TV using Serviio. However I can find and play them using Allshare. Something has gone wrong with Serviio lately,as others report.
<<

turulob95

Serviio newbie

Post Fri May 13, 2022 6:03 am

That worked for the music (.mp3) I recently added, but not the movie (a 1.94 GB .mkv).
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri May 13, 2022 2:52 pm

turulob95 wrote:That worked for the music (.mp3) I recently added, but not the movie (a 1.94 GB .mkv).

What worked? There's more than one thing mentioned above.
Dan

Next

Return to Serviio Support & Help