FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio Pro Trial & License

<<

anniebody

Serviio lover

Post Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:13 pm

Serviio Pro Trial & License

I have used Serviio free for many years.
Despite Serviio being poor for web streaming (no one could provide a working method for any media) I would like to use it for streaming my PC files to additional devices in my home.
Currently I only use it for TV only but would like to stream music artwork folders to my tablet when I play music on that device using a dedicated music app for my player. This would allow me to review the artwork alongside the music (just like the old days): not embedded but pdf and jpg booklet info and lyrics etc.
I understand I will need to install ServiGo on my tablet then pay for the pro version. This should allow me to set up different users so my TV only lists video folders and my tablet only artwork folders. Great!

Q1. When you install/reinstall Servioo you get a 14 day pro trial. Is there another method I can use to re-activate the trial without having to uninstall then reinstall it?

The cost of the Pro is for version 2.x.
Q2. Does anyone know if a planned version 3.x is due to be released?

I know it sounds mean and hypocritical after all the time I have been using the free version, but I don't want to pay twice in a relatively short time.
I have been caught out by other software that keeps updating due to bug fixes then charging for the privilege of providing the latest working software each time, none of which I wanted nor need.
Regards and thanks
<<

lazytyper

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:45 pm

Re: Serviio Pro Trial & License

Reapplying the trial constantly would defeat the purpose of it being a trial :)

But it is only 25 USD (that's less that's £22), so doesn't really break the bank considering it gives you all of 2.x versions.

There is almost 7 years between version 1.0 and 2.0 released (2012 and 2019), so I'd guess we may have a few more years before 3.0.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:08 am

The development of Serviio seems to have slowed. I haven't had a discussion with the developer in a couple of months, and only know he's been slowing working on an incremental update right now. As mentioned, Serviio goes many years between major releases, so I personally feel it's money well spent.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

anniebody

Serviio lover

Post Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:11 pm

So, I have purchased a license and found the ServiiGo app to be lacking in functionality. Whether this is because of it not working correctly with Serviio or just a minimalist and buggy app remains to be seen.
1. Despite selecting 'Folder View'' in Serviio , the only options are to display 'Thumbnails' or 'Details'. The details being just thumbnails with the folder name.
As I (and the world) are used to using details as a list (the standard set by Windows 95), how do I get the details to display as expected, by displaying the same format as all my other devices!
2. The artwork displayed in thumbnails is random. How do I get to display the album cover or front as the default. randomly selecting Booklet 13, then Back, then CD for instance is not beneficial at all.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:22 pm

anniebody, that sounds like issues with ServiiGo. That is something offered by a third party, not Serviio itself. There is a forum thread specific to ServiiGo, and you can contact the developer there. viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6803
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

anniebody

Serviio lover

Post Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:35 pm

So you have to pay Serviio for the right to use an app then Serviio claims it is no longer their responsibility. Wrong!
UK law stipulates the vendor is responsible for resolving issues with products purchased from them.
Time to find an alternative that doesn't rip people off!

In the meantime, as Serviio have insisted I have to pay for a product and install it only to find it is not fit for purpose how do I obtain a refund, or is that not down to Serviio too?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:20 pm

You didn't purchase ServiiGo from Serviio. Yes, you need the Pro version of Serviio for ServiiGo to work. But it's the responsibility of the app developer to ensure the product works as advertised. Two different products from two different providers. You don't complain to Roku or Amazon if the Netflix app doesn't work correctly, you complain to Netflix. Your issue with ServiiGo is not with the Serviio developer.

It's up to the Serviio developer to determine if your license purchase is refundable. If I had to guess, the answer would be no, as there's no way to rescind the license you've installed on Serviio. Serviio never validates the license back to Serviio, so that license will be valid forever for any Serviio version 2.x installation.

When you first install Serviio, you are given 15 days of Pro features to try them out. You did not need to purchase a license simply to evaluate ServiiGo.
Dan

<<

anniebody

Serviio lover

Post Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:57 am

I purchased Serviio Pro from Serviio.
I purchased Serviio Pro in order to use ServiiGo which requires a Pro license, the only reason for the purchase.
I asked about methods of trial that did not require me to uninstall, lose all the information, than have to reinstall from scratch, and received no support.
I paid Servioo for the Pro licence. Serviio use a third party 'Fastspring' for the transaction.
Fastspring do not process refunds, they insist I contact the vendor Serviio.
As ServiiGo looks and acts nothing like Serviio it does not perform to expectations. Serviio must be aware of that fact if they approve of another party using its pro licence.
Under UK law I am entitled to a refund for items that prove to be not fit for purpose, a fact Serviio have prior knowledge of.
Serviio have duty of care for their customers, which you appear to be waiving.
Are Serviio going to provide me with a refund, for a pro licence purchased under false pretences?
Yes or No?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:40 pm

You are asking in the support forum. The Serviio developer isn't on here on a regular basis. The fastest way to reach him is either an email (sales@serviio.org) or via a private message here in the forum. Email would likely be the fastest.

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I live in the UK. Based on my personal understanding of US law, you would not be eligible for a refund from Serviio, as it provides everything it claims. Your issue is with ServiiGo, which is a 3rd party product that is not supported by Serviio itself. The fact that ServiiGo does not provide the functionality you were expecting is not the fault of the Serviio developer. Serviio makes no claims as to the functionality of 3rd party applications. The 3rd party app providers simply make use of an API library that permits their app to connect to Serviio.

As i previously mentioned, because an application does not work as expected, you would not expect the OS manufacturer to refund your OS purchase. I understand what you are saying about British law, but I expect if you discussed it with a lawyer (solicitor over there?) they would likely agree with me.

For the record, I am not an employee of Serviio, or in any way receive any sort of payment for assisting on this forum as a moderator. I simply provide the level of support I can when users have issues. In most cases, I have been successful in that endeavor. In your case, there is nothing further I can provide to you, as you aren't having an issue with Serviio itself.
Dan

<<

anniebody

Serviio lover

Post Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:18 pm

According to ServiiGo:
"When browsing ServiiGo only has access to the primary artwork file that Serviio has discovered, if the wrong one is being shown that has to be fixed in Serviio."

So, according to ServiiGo it is Serviio that are at fault. But according to Serviio it is nothing to do with them even thought they have taken the money for pro license that doesn't work as intended and which you cannot test until you have paid for the license after which you are stuffed.

This forum should be a lesson to anyone else who might consider a license, or being forced into paying for one. DON'T!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:45 am

As to the cover art, you can place an image you'd like to use in the folder. This page describes the file naming necessary to match up with the album. It's near the bottom of the page. https://www.serviio.org/index.php?optio ... icle&id=12
Dan

<<

anniebody

Serviio lover

Post Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:32 pm

"As to the cover art, you can place an image you'd like to use in the folder. This page describes the file naming necessary to match up with the album. It's near the bottom of the page."

Meaning Serviio is useless for viewing album artwork as it ONLY displays the first file in a folder regardless of content.
Hence you get the metadata displaying back instead of front! Who using Serviio know or wants to know what the back of every album looks like?
It appears that ServiiGo are correct in that it is Serviio that is the problem, and despite paying for Pro you get no support whatsoever!
Just don't expect any help before you have to pay, then expect any help after having down so!
At least ServiiGo (FREE) have the decency to respond and adapt, which is NOT what you get from Serviio Pro.
As a long time user I am disgusted that way Serviio have behaved in forcing me to pay for something that is ultimately not fit for purpose.
<<

Riversiderepeat

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:16 pm

As a LONG time (twenty plus years now) user of many different server softwares I can honestly tell you that you're expecting FAR too much of such an inexpensive lifetime license. Serviio far exceeds reasonable expectations at this price point. You simply cannot reasonably expect any software to do everything for you this affordably. Put some effort into it or pay the price. Serviio developers are not slaves. :roll:
SYSTEM:
Mac High Sierra 10.13.6 on iMac

Yes it's old. Yes it's outdated. No I'm not going to upgrade. I make it work anyway, and it does.

So far... 8-)

Return to Serviio Support & Help