FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio Service wont start (Windows 10)

<<

devastating_doug

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:54 am

Serviio Service wont start (Windows 10)

I cannot get the seviio service to start, Ive been using serviio for years and had no problems till today.

I tried to reinstall over top my current install. I tried an uninstall followed by a clean install. I tried running the service as an administrator. I even tried opening the services window and opening it from there, and I get this message "Windows could not start the serviio service on Local Computer Error 193:0xc1"

I can't even get it to produce an error log because I cannot get the service to start in the slightest.

If anyone has any ideas I've very much appreciate it, thanks in advance.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:34 pm

Re: Serviio Service wont start (Windows 10)

So, there's no log file (serviio.log) under C:\Program Files\serviio\log? It's extremely rare for no file to be created at all. However, I looked up the error you received, and this is what it means:
Error 193 0xc1 is occurred when it fails to find the exact path of the execution file. The other possibility is if there are any files with the same name in the directory as the first word in the directory name.

So, for some reason Windows can't find the executable. And that would explain why there's no log created, since the process never starts. The path should be (according to my Serviio install) C:\Program Files\Serviio\bin\ServiioService.exe. So, first check the service and see if it shows this as the path. Next, check the path and ensure the file is located in that folder.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

devastating_doug

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:47 pm

atc98092 wrote:So, there's no log file (serviio.log) under C:\Program Files\serviio\log? It's extremely rare for no file to be created at all. However, I looked up the error you received, and this is what it means:
Error 193 0xc1 is occurred when it fails to find the exact path of the execution file. The other possibility is if there are any files with the same name in the directory as the first word in the directory name.

So, for some reason Windows can't find the executable. And that would explain why there's no log created, since the process never starts. The path should be (according to my Serviio install) C:\Program Files\Serviio\bin\ServiioService.exe. So, first check the service and see if it shows this as the path. Next, check the path and ensure the file is located in that folder.

The service has this as the path , and following that path has the serviioservice.exe in that folder, I tried starting directly from that normally and as an administrator and nothing happens as it is still not running according to the list of running services. Well it wouldn't say nothing happened as when it ran it a little black window that looked like it could be the command prompt popped up for a split second but disappeared so it looks like its trying to do something.

As far as the log not being created, it creates the log when it starts up correct. I don't think its starting up at all therefore no log.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:59 am

Rather than run the service by clicking on it, try starting a command prompt window and then running the file from the command line. That way if there's any error message when you run it, you can view it without the window closing.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

devastating_doug

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:55 am

atc98092 wrote:Rather than run the service by clicking on it, try starting a command prompt window and then running the file from the command line. That way if there's any error message when you run it, you can view it without the window closing.

good idea, how do I do that, do i just type out the path to the .exe like I'm running an old od game?

Yep. Just open a DOS prompt window (of course, they call it the command prompt now). Either change your directory to the EXE file location or type the full path to the file. Just remember to put the entire path within quotes because there are spaces in the path.

OK, I see you got it working. Now you can check the log for any errors, but it sounds like some sort of Windows glitch. :D
<<

devastating_doug

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:38 pm

devastating_doug wrote:
atc98092 wrote:Rather than run the service by clicking on it, try starting a command prompt window and then running the file from the command line. That way if there's any error message when you run it, you can view it without the window closing.

good idea, how do I do that, do i just type out the path to the .exe like I'm running an old od game?

Yep. Just open a DOS prompt window (of course, they call it the command prompt now). Either change your directory to the EXE file location or type the full path to the file. Just remember to put the entire path within quotes because there are spaces in the path.

OK, I see you got it working. Now you can check the log for any errors, but it sounds like some sort of Windows glitch. :D

The log looks like a bunch of Greek to me, I don't see anything that looks like an error skimming over it, It mostly looks like there is a line for each piece of media that got readded to the library, so there are over 2000 of them. Any reason I should change it back from debug mode to stop generating logs, or can I just leave it?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:44 pm

Remaining in debug mode will make the log file huge, and since it replaces the log with a new file when it reaches 5 MB, you could end up with dozens of log files. Doesn't hurt anything other than your disk space, although Serviio is naturally working a tad bit harder creating the detailed log.
Dan

<<

devastating_doug

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:12 pm

devastating_doug wrote:

So it seems like I have to go thru these steps everytime I reboot the computer to get serviio working, any idea what may cause that
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:06 pm

If it's working when starting from the command line, but failing via auto-start at boot, I'd check the user credentials it is using to start the service. By default, Serviio installed itself to use a System Service user account, but sometimes people change the user account on the Services config app.
Dan

Return to Serviio Support & Help