FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

How to access Serviio files from internet/phone.

<<

dab1968

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:48 pm

How to access Serviio files from internet/phone.

Firstly, I am a little more experienced than the average Joe when it comes to computer/network stuff, but I am BY NO MEANS an expert. There are a lot of holes in my understanding of a few areas. I am trying to access my files through MediaBrowser on Safari/iPhone over the internet. I have done endless research on the topic and still cannot access it unless the phone is connected to my home wifi. I have Serviio PRO, with the necessary settings in place. I have allowed Serviio access through the firewall on the host pc. I have set up Port Forwarding on the router to the proper port. I have rebooted the router after making said changes. There has to be something I am missing. This is probably my weakest area regarding computer use. Please, can someone find the patience to explain the process/steps to me like I am a 5 year old? If not, I understand. Just thought I'd ask.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:58 pm

Re: How to access Serviio files from internet/phone.

Welcome to the forum!

First, let's go through the steps necessary for accessing MediaBrowser from an Internet connected device. First, as you noted you must have the correct port forwarded in your router firewall. For MediaBrowser, the port is 23424, although you can also use port 23524 when using SSL. However, setting up SSL to work correctly is a task unto itself, so I have stuck with only using 23424. You forward that port from the Internet connection to the IP address if your Serviio computer. It's important to use a static IP address on your Serviio computer, as you need that port forwarding to be pointing to the right address.

Now, from the Internet side of the connection, you need to have an address to reach your home network. You can't use your public IP address, because unless you pay your ISP for a static IP, it's going to be changing constantly. So what you need is a dynamic DNS service that provides you with a web address (URL) that you just type into the browser. There are many DDNS services available, and some even provide the service for free. I use a free service called DNSExit, but there are plenty of others. You usually have to run an app on a computer on your home network that periodically checks your public IP address and sends an update to the free service with the new IP address. This way, you always use the same web address to get to your MediaBrowser page. I just checked my public IP address, and I see my address isn't up to date, which means I can't get to MediaBrowser myself from the Internet. I just fixed it. :) I see they no longer use an app, and I had to add a script to my computer and run it every 15 minutes to check for any public IP address change.

Finally, once everything is in place, you need to enter the correct web address into the browser. So, let's assume my DDNS public name is atc98092.homeip.net (it's not, just an example). In the web browser, I would enter https://atc98092.homeip.net:23424/mediabrowser. Notice I have the port number specified in the web address, as well as mediabrowser after the slant. You need the complete web address, including the port and the /mediabrowser at the end.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

dab1968

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:57 pm

Ok, so that DNS thing is the only thing I am missing. Is it’s only purpose to redirect when the address changes? If that’s the case then shouldn’t it work without the dns until the first time it changes? I don’t have a problem using the dns, but I’m just trying to think ahead before doing anything else. Is there anything else I might be missing?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:25 am

Yes, without a static public IP address it is impossible to connect to your home network without some sort of dynamic DNS setup. Most ISPs will cycle a home IP address at least once a week, with some much more often. Using DDNS makes life simple. :)

Yes, if you know your current home IP address and attempt to connect it should work only using the IP address. I just tried it on mine and it worked. Just remember you have to include the port number and /mediabrowser at the end.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Serviio Support & Help