FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio Pro + HEOS iPhone App...

<<

sdigs

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:32 am

Serviio Pro + HEOS iPhone App...

Hey there...

Been using Serviio Pro + HEOS iPhone App pushing to my Marantz Reciever for about six months now. Worked like a charm. But of course, HEOS decided to come out with a new "upgraded" app that no longer can see my Serviio server via my local network. Has anyone else experienced this? If not, any chance someone uses a different DLNA streaming iPhone app that they like?

Cheers!

SD
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:41 pm

Re: Serviio Pro + HEOS iPhone App...

I've never used anything on my phone to cast Serviio to another device, so no suggestions there. VLC works just fine as a DLNA player on my iPhone, and I just tested it to make sure it was still working. It immediately saw all my available DLNA sources on the network, and played a couple of my ripped DVDs without a problem. I even tried one of my UHD movie rips, and it too played perfectly with bitrates peaking over 100 Mbps.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

teacherguy

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:23 pm

sdigs wrote:Hey there...

Been using Serviio Pro + HEOS iPhone App pushing to my Marantz Reciever for about six months now. Worked like a charm. But of course, HEOS decided to come out with a new "upgraded" app that no longer can see my Serviio server via my local network. Has anyone else experienced this? If not, any chance someone uses a different DLNA streaming iPhone app that they like?

Cheers!

SD

My two favorites are 8PlayerPro and MConnectHD. I'm able to choose my Denon as the UPnP device to play to so it should work fine with your Maranta as well.
<<

sdigs

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:00 pm

Thanks for sending over these recommendations! I’ve used VLC before, but haven’t tried the others and will do so. The only reason I was using HEOS was because it is the software offered up within the Denon/Marantz environment. Cheers people!
<<

PeeDub

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:00 pm

atc98092 wrote:I've never used anything on my phone to cast Serviio to another device, so no suggestions there. VLC works just fine as a DLNA player on my iPhone, and I just tested it to make sure it was still working. It immediately saw all my available DLNA sources on the network, and played a couple of my ripped DVDs without a problem. I even tried one of my UHD movie rips, and it too played perfectly with bitrates peaking over 100 Mbps.

I am trying to get my wife's iPhone set up to play music from my Serviio server (like I do with ServiiGo on my Android). I have read in other posts elsewhere that VLC only works on the LAN, not if you're outside the home network. Is that still the case?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:09 pm

PeeDub wrote:I am trying to get my wife's iPhone set up to play music from my Serviio server (like I do with ServiiGo on my Android). I have read in other posts elsewhere that VLC only works on the LAN, not if you're outside the home network. Is that still the case?

Yes, VLC is still local network only. Since Serviio is primarily a DLNA server, you have to remember that DLNA is by design local network only. DLNA will not work across the public Internet. The way ServiiGo works is to use the API functionality of Serviio Pro to access it outside the firewall. There is no iOS equivalent of ServiiGo. The only other way I know of to access Serviio outside the firewall is using MediaBrowser, which is web based and works on any phone or tablet. Not a particularly elegant way to listen to music on an iPhone, but it would work.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Serviio Support & Help