FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

IPTVX APP (Apple TVOS and IOS)

<<

MrRellim1970

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:25 pm

IPTVX APP (Apple TVOS and IOS)

There is an app called IPTVX and they say "IPTVX supports the major formats and services including.... PLEX and SMB (for NAS/Servers and computers)."

I know Serviio will broadcast using DNLA but can it use SMB to broadcast?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:17 am

Re: IPTVX APP (Apple TVOS and IOS)

No, SMB is a server-based file sharing method. Plex does not support SMB either. This app is apparently simply looking for either a network share location (via SMB) or has an internal Plex player app. The SMB share is simply offering a shared location that media files might be located in. The app is handling all streaming and playing functions. The SMB share is simply a place the media file resides.

DLNA is something completely different, with a client/server functionality. Serviio acts as the server, and provides the ability to stream the media and transcode any part of the media that might be unsupported by the player.

For iOS devices (and I believe also Apple TV) you have several choices of apps that will work with Serviio. One of course is VLC. This is a fantastic player with a less than stellar user interface. You don't get any metadata from the media server, but it will play almost anything, including captions. Another option is Infuse, but it's not free like VLC is. If you search the app store you'll find a large number of apps that support DLNA. The rare times I use my phone or iPad to stream from my Serviio server I use VLC, but as I said there are many more options.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Serviio Support & Help