FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Java Keeps Running On Mac OS 10.7.3

<<

wb6702

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:11 pm

Java Keeps Running On Mac OS 10.7.3

I noticed that Java keeps running in the background and does not quit after using the application. I also noticed after running netstat -an that it is still connected to the ports and the local IP address of my LG BluRay Player. Hopefully this will be fixed soon. Anyway thanks for making a great DLNA server that works on the Mac.
<<

wb6702

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:12 pm

Re: Java Keeps Running On Mac OS 10.7.3

This is on the new release version Serviio 0.6.2.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:41 pm

wb6702 wrote:I noticed that Java keeps running in the background and does not quit after using the application. I also noticed after running netstat -an that it is still connected to the ports and the local IP address of my LG BluRay Player. Hopefully this will be fixed soon. Anyway thanks for making a great DLNA server that works on the Mac.

nothing to fix thats completely normal behaviour, what your seeing is the serviio service running.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

wb6702

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:56 pm

Normally when you quit an application it should stop running in the background. Also any ports that were connected to the device should close. This also depends on the application and what it is designed to do. If I am not using the application I don't expect it to be running in the background when I am not using it. Not only that is using the CPU while it is running in the background. I am application expert but I do know most apps quit running in the background and close the ports when they are finished running.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:00 pm

wb6702 wrote:Normally when you quit an application it should stop running in the background. Also any ports that were connected to the device should close. This also depends on the application and what it is designed to do. If I am not using the application I don't expect it to be running in the background when I am not using it. Not only that is using the CPU while it is running in the background. I am application expert but I do know most apps quit running in the background and close the ports when they are finished running.

its not an application its a service its supposed to be running in the background.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:01 pm

Serviio is effectively two apps. The server app, which always runs in the background, and the conole/client app that only runs when you open it.
In windows the server is implemented as a service.

The server part needs to keep running to find new files and for when you turn on a device. Unless it is checking for library updates, it should only use a very tiny amount of the CPU. Just the same as iTunes runs some background servers even when iTunes isn't open etc...
Will

ServiiDroid (Android Console) Developer: Download | Home | Support
ServiiGo (Android 3G/4G/WiFi Playback App) Developer: Download | Home | Support
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:16 pm

On OSX they are just two apps, not a service. So when you close the server it should quit. Are you sure you're closing the server (Serviio.app) and not the console (Serviio Console.app) ? If you are enable detailed logging, restart the server and try to exit it - then post the log.
<<

wb6702

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:46 pm

JavaAppServiio.tiff
JavaAppServiio.tiff (9.55 KiB) Viewed 6110 times
I quit both Serviio and the Serviio-Console, but on the Serviio the java application continues to run in the background. The connection in netstat only pertains to my LG BluRay player. My Sony Playstation 3 disconnects when when I shut it down and quit the application. Take a look at the attachments that I uploaded to this reply. There is nothing in the log file for me to post. Everything looks normal in the system log files so I didn't post it. The attachments to the post are tiffs showing the command line running top and netstat -an. They only pertain to Serviio still running in the background after I quit the application. Serviio-Console quits like it suppose to but the Serviio server does not.
<<

wb6702

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:49 pm

Here is the netstat -an connection to the LG BluRay Player.
Attachments
JavaAppServiioServer.tiff
JavaAppServiioServer.tiff (5.98 KiB) Viewed 6110 times
<<

jamesjjenkins

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:03 am

you might find this is a better way of running serviio as a service on mac:

http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1978&p=10775

Return to Serviio Support & Help