FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

avi files have .mov added to extension

<<

chieferman

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:44 pm

avi files have .mov added to extension

Just got a Altaz media player and installed Serviio on my pc. I can see the files without a problem but the it reads all files as if they are .mov. In fact it displays the filenames with .mov added to each of them such as
moviename.avi.mov

Then it won't play the files as it says it is not supported. I can play files that are .mov and .mp4 with no issue and I can play .avi files if they are locally connected to my media player. It is just through the Serviio server do i see the .mov issue.

Any ideas?
<<

serviio-buddy

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: avi files have .mov added to extension

Which model Altaz do you have?

Which profile are you using (shown in the Serviio console)?
serviio-buddy
Beta Tester Group

SONY SMP-N100 Media Player, HP PC: Vista 32/Ubuntu 11.10, Serviio 0.6.2, XBMC, VLC, ASUS eeePC Netbook: Vista 32, XBMC, SHARP Aquos BD-HP25U DLNA Blu-Ray Player

HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device | Record a new ticket on Bitbucket | Provide details of a video file that doesn't play | Turn on detailed logging
<<

chieferman

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:58 pm

I am using Generic DLNA profile. My Altez is model AZNMP101
<<

serviio-buddy

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:13 pm

Upon researching your reported problem, Serviio does not rename or append permanent extensions to your existing files.

Also, the Generic Profile does not transcode any local files.

Are these files permanently renamed and listed as xxxxxxx.avi.mov when viewing the filenames directly from the PC too?

Are you sure you don't have a program renaming your files?
Last edited by serviio-buddy on Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
serviio-buddy
Beta Tester Group

SONY SMP-N100 Media Player, HP PC: Vista 32/Ubuntu 11.10, Serviio 0.6.2, XBMC, VLC, ASUS eeePC Netbook: Vista 32, XBMC, SHARP Aquos BD-HP25U DLNA Blu-Ray Player

HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device | Record a new ticket on Bitbucket | Provide details of a video file that doesn't play | Turn on detailed logging
<<

chieferman

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:16 pm

They are not permanently renamed it seems to be a display issue.
When I view the files in Titles list they just all show with .mov extension.
When i view them in the folder list they show .avi.mov
so it appears to be just the way the media player is recognizing the files as they are presented by Serviio.

Very strange as I said movies connected to the media player via a usb drive directly display and play with no issue. It seems to be just the files through the Serviio server.
<<

serviio-buddy

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:22 pm

The specs for your Altaz AZNMP101 says "Video Playback: AVI, MP4, MPEG 1/2/4, RM (VB), DivX, H.264"

I don't see where it support MOV files.
serviio-buddy
Beta Tester Group

<<

chieferman

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:44 pm

The .mov files display and play fine. It is like the media player thinks all video files from Serviio are supposed to be .mov files and they play fine.

mp4 files also play fine and they also have the .mov extension added to the end of them.
<<

serviio-buddy

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:24 pm

Can you try renaming one of the files that show on your device with the added ".mov" extension?

For example, try renaming "moviename.avi.mov" which really should be shown as "moviename.avi" from viewing the name on your PC files to an extension you know does play on your device, then try it and see what happens?
serviio-buddy
Beta Tester Group

<<

chieferman

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:31 pm

I'm not following you. The files are actually getting renamed on my pc. they just display that way when looking at them from my media player via the Serviio server.
<<

serviio-buddy

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:37 pm

chieferman wrote:I'm not following you. The files are actually getting renamed on my pc. they just display that way when looking at them from my media player via the Serviio server.

You previously said "They are not permanently renamed it seems to be a display issue. "

You are now saying that the files are actually being renamed when viewed from your PC ?
serviio-buddy
Beta Tester Group

<<

chieferman

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:51 pm

No, I misstyped.

the files are not actually getting renamed. just the way they display on the TV through the media player via Serviio.

Very frustrating as I said they play fine with a usb drive hooked up to the media player but when they are accessed via the Serviio all video files have the .mov extension. If the actual file is a .mov it does not add it to the file in the list just any that don't have that extension.

As I said mp4 and mov files play fine. it is like Servio it telling the media player that all videos are .mov in format and then when it tries to play them it tells me the file no supported.
<<

serviio-buddy

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:14 pm

Ok. So, let me get this straight now using "movie.avi" as our example:

1. Filename displayed from USB on Altaz AZNMP101 or displayed from PC shows "movie.avi" without any ".mov" added to the end of the filename.

2. When viewed thru Serviio on your Altaz AZNMP101, the filename is displayed as "movie.avi.mov"and won't play.

Is this correct?
serviio-buddy
Beta Tester Group

<<

chieferman

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:32 pm

correct!
<<

serviio-buddy

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:05 pm

Please try renaming the "movie.avi" file from your PC to another extension that you know the Altaz AZNMP101 will play and won't display as renamed file with the ".mov" extension?

For example, from your PC, rename "movie.avi" to "movie.mp4" and see if that file will show up on the Altaz AZNMP101 and see if it plays.
serviio-buddy
Beta Tester Group

<<

chieferman

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:12 pm

Okay, I renamed a movie.avi to movie.mov.

Same behavior, won't play. File not supported.
<<

serviio-buddy

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:45 pm

try different profile
serviio-buddy
Beta Tester Group

<<

must_try_harder

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:02 pm

I am having exactly the same problem as the original poster. I am new to all this, so please be gentle with me.

Configuration:
Server v0.6.2 on XP Professional SP3 (Italian language version)
Media Player is Storex SlimBox (don’t laugh, please) on fixed IP address, Generic DLNA Profile – shows green in console. EDIT to clarify - the SlimBox gets its address by DHCP, but in the DHCP server (the router) it is pre-allocated to the SlimBox's MAC address.

Symptoms:
All avi files (the only type I’ve tried so far) have .mov added to their names when viewed on the SlimBox, and won’t play, they are reported as “File Not Supported”. The file names are only incorrect on the SlimBox, they are not changed on the server.

Testing so far:
I took an existing file (extension avi) and copied it under name test.avi on the server. Took a copy onto a USB stick. Console is set to manual library refresh only, when I do a “Force Refresh” the “Show Status” shows one new file, named quite correctly as test.avi. The SlimBox plays the file fine from the USB stick, displaying the correct name. When going over the LAN to Serviio the filename is shown as test.avi.mov and won’t play as described earlier.

Any ideas on where to go from here?
<<

must_try_harder

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:13 pm

Update after more testing. I have spent a few hours today experimenting with different files.

First a little background. The SlimBox categorises files into five types – Audio, Image, Video, Text and Flash. The last two are only partially implemented, and I’ll ignore them for this discussion. So we have basically three types of files, analogous to those in Serviio.

I gathered a suite of test files using all the formats (by which I mean file extensions) that I have to hand for these three categories. I then put all these on a USB stick, plugged it into the SlimBox and checked each type for visibility and (if visible) playability. I then transferred the USB stick to the server, set it as the only Library folder and used the SlimBox through Serviio to check for changes in file names, as well as visibility and playability. Results were as follows:

Audio
Only two types were tested, MP3 and WMA. Both were visible and playable directly connected to the Slimbox. Through Serviio, both were still visible and playable. The only difference is that the filename of the WMA had a .mp3 appended after the .wma

Only two types were tested, JPG and PNG. Both were visible and playable directly connected to the Slimbox. Through Serviio, the JPG was both visible and playable. The PNG was visible – albeit with .jpg appended after the .png – but was not playable.

Video
Eight types were tested; AVI, MP4, M4V, WMV, MKV, DIVX, MOV and VOB. All except M4V and WMV were visible and playable directly connected to the Slimbox. Through Serviio, all except the MOV had .mov appended after their rightful extensions. Only the MOV and M4V would play.

I should emphasise that the names of the files on the USB stick have never changed, it is only the view through Serviio (and subsequent handling) that is incorrect.

As they say, the plot thickens .....
<<

must_try_harder

Serviio newbie

Post Wed May 02, 2012 3:36 pm

Since nobody has even acknowledged my postings, I have raised a ticket. No great hopes though ......

Return to Serviio Support & Help