FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Transcoding only video

<<

puntloos

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:29 am

Transcoding only video

As far as I can tell, if it's determined a file needs transcoding, serviio hits both audio and video.

Is there some way to specify in my client profile that my client (PS3) supports MPEG2+AC3 (and therefore if transcoding say a H264L5.1+AC3 you don't need to re-code the AC3 to, well, AC3?
<<

puntloos

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:46 pm

Re: Transcoding only video

As an addendum to this, to make DTS streaming possible in a PS3, all you need to do is mark the audio stream as LPCM, whilst in actual fact including the raw DTS data.
I assume Serviio can't be configured to do this?

I guess in the end what I'm asking is more control over the actual ffmpeg settings to create more detailed profiles..
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:21 pm

you can transcode only audio or video, see the docs. basically when targetVCodec is not provided or is the same as video codec of the source video it'll just be copied.
<<

puntloos

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:54 pm

zip wrote:you can transcode only audio or video, see the docs. basically when targetVCodec is not provided or is the same as video codec of the source video it'll just be copied.

Ah i see, I think I can then come up with a bit more elaborate config file. Thanks!

That said, does DTS streaming work? Like mentioned you need a bit of a hack - see http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/vie ... ?f=4&t=603 how ps3mediaserver solves it..
Will give it a shot.

-M
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:46 am

As I understand it, that hack is specifically to fool the PS3 into outputing the DTS stream to a receiver, rather than simply allowing playback of media containing DTS. PS3MS uses tsMuxeR for remuxing which does correctly remux DTS audio streams. Serviio uses only FFmpeg, and this unfortunately still has issues with remuxing DTS (open ticket), particularly for playback on hardware.

The first question though - is this still necessary? Or did some PS3 firmware since 2009 fix this behaviour?

That thread, together with the ones it references, doesn't seem to explain in technical detail what Shagrath did to get this DTS/PCM spoofing working. Any ideas? Or am I going to need to inspect the source code?

EDIT - looks like it uses mencoder/tsmuxer specifically, so it may not be achievable with Serviio:
http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/vie ... t=20#p3236

EDIT2 - interesting, there's a python script to do it - apparently it encapsulates DTS in S/PDIF then wraps this in a WAV file:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... #post72541

EDIT 3 - been doing some more reading - FFmpeg has an S/PDIF muxer, and can demux DTS in WAV apparently. So I wonder if this can be made to work. I don't see how you can invoke more than one muxer though (is it even possible?). For audio alone we'd need something like:
  Code:
ffmpeg -i input.mkv -vn -acodec copy -f spdif output.wav

but how could a single command line also remux this into mpegts with the video?

Getting this working could be the solution to this topic (passthough of DTS music tracks, by disguising them as LPCM):
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6317
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:09 pm

I have tested that VOB file from the PS3MS thread on the Sony BDP and it doesn't detect it as DTS either via DLNA or via USB. It's just a load of PCM noise. That means I'm not going to be able to test any further.
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!

Return to Serviio Support & Help