Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:59 pm

Streaming Kaffeine mpg files

Hi Forum,

A few months back I put together a nice little home server. I used the following components:

AS Rock mobo with the AMD e-350 CPU
8 gb ram
350 Watt PSU

I installed ubuntu 11.10 on the server with a 250 gb HDD for the operating system. I then have two 500 gb RAID 1 for all my movies and important storage. This system has been rock solid for about six months. Last week I bought a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1250 video card. I installed the card and went into dmegs and see the OS sees the card.

18.141236] CORE cx23885[0]: subsystem: 0070:7911, board: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR1250 [card=3,autodetected]

I then installed mythbuntu to begin recording live tv. However, once mythbuntu was installed many problems began. One major issue was I could no longer VNC into my machine since I "think" mythweb was conflicting with the VNC session. Also, my machine would not shutdown. I read that this might be caused from the lirdc (something to do with infrared). Anyway, I removed mythbuntu as best I can. I then installed Kaffeine to work with simple recordings. So far I am content with the program but I am still having issues. For example, I am able to record programs but they are very large. A 15 minute program takes about 1.2gb. This is not too bad but I am unable to stream that to my DNLA tv using Serviio.

So does anyone know if my system is too weak to stream the file? I have many HD movies and TV shows that are .avi filles and have no problems streaming those files. My router is a Netgear n300 WNR2000. I really appreciate any help and suggestions that other people have.

Thanks...CJ