FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Server JVM

<<

Felix

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:13 pm

Server JVM

Hello

I have installed Java JRE and the JDK and Serviio on Windows XP.
I could not figure out how to run Serviio (Windows Service) with the Server JVM which resides as a dll in the JDK Folder. I tried to point to the JDK's JRE - folder via environment variable JAVA_HOME but only Files in the standard JRE where accessed. (Testing this with the Process Explorer).

Location Standard JRE (1): C:\Program Files\Java\jre6
Location JDK's JRE (2a): C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_27\bin
Location JDK's JRE (2b): C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_27\jre\bin (subfolders 'client' and 'server' where server jvm resides)

If I have managed it that he loads the files from the location 2b I think we must tell Serviio still that he uses the server jvm by adding the -server tag:

ServiioService.exe.vmoptions -server -Xmx512m

But this is guessing, still need help...

Greetings BK
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:25 pm

Re: Server JVM

I think just the -server should do. You could also run the .bat file instead of the service and edit that
<<

Felix

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:42 pm

Re: Server JVM

Hello

Thanks for the hint.
Now if someones got problems with blanks in the path,but solved that.
They should look like this:
set JAVAW=C:\"Program Files"\Java\jdk1.6.0_27\jre\bin\Javaw.exe
In Processexplorer javaw points to the path of the jdk and the server\jvm.dll is used.

I put serviio.bat with gpedit.msc into a computer start up script and it starts like a service with the exception , if a user logs on to the machine , and logs off the process is killed. Perhabs for future releases you should add the option of chosing the jre's path for the windows service and the -server option used.

Overall a nice program , not like Wild Media Server where every client that you want to register needs to be licensed.

Greetings BK

Return to Serviio Support & Help