FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Linux Desktop Streaming

<<

Maleficium

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:43 pm

Linux Desktop Streaming

I'm using Serviio 6.1 in Ubuntu 11.10 and everything is working well except the Desktop Streaming. I followed the instructions in Serviio Wiki but I get no sound in Desktop Streaming, only the image. All files in my HD have image and sound. Any idea how the solve this problem ?
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:01 pm

Re: Linux Desktop Streaming

I didn't check but I assume the Linux wiki is using the screen:// built-in capture protocol, which only captures screen and no sound.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:10 pm

yep no sound for linux.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:27 pm

there has to be a way to get it capture your sound card though. I'm sure someone will figure it out soon.
<<

Maleficium

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:04 pm

Thanks for your fast answers. I hope that someone with more experience than me in Linux can find a solution for that.
<<

jk50

Serviio lover

Post Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:27 pm

The command line in the wiki DOES capture sound. You have a settings problem I might be able to help with.

If you don't already have it installed, fire up your package manager and install a program called pavucontrol.
Once you have pavucontrol start something ,anything,that will play sound. Sound has to be playing continuously
through this process. A music player would be good.

Next open a console type in pavucontrol hit enter, a program called Volume Control should start.Click on the
Recording tab at the top, at this point it should be empty.Leave it running.

Next run the command line for vlc from the wikiand leave that running.

Go back to the Volume Control program ,there should be a new entry in the recording tab called
ALSA plug-in [vlc]. On the right side across the top there are three buttons, one big one and two small.
Click big one, a list of sound devices will be displayed. One or more of will start with the word Monitor.
Click on the choice or choices that start with the word Monitor. When you hit the right choice the vu
meter will start bouncing around. When you see the vu meter bouncing around your done . Turn of the
volume control program ,it should remember the settings so you don't have to do this again . You should
now be capturing sound
<<

Maleficium

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:01 am

Thanks a lot for the reply. I followed your tips and I have now the sound working in the desktop steaming but something isn't right yet.
The sounds plays for something like a second and then pauses a bit and resume for another second and so on.
My computer and Ethernet are enough to do the job (I have it working in Windows7 without a problem).
Another strange thing is that every time I access the Recording tab in Volume Control (pavucontrol) it starts blinking and don't allow me to change the volume for recording.

Once again thanks for the help and any new ideas are welcome.
<<

jk50

Serviio lover

Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:13 pm

My computer and Ethernet are enough to do the job (I have it working in Windows7 without a problem).
Another strange thing is that every time I access the Recording tab in Volume Control (pavucontrol) it starts blinking and don't allow me to change the volume for recording.

Once again thanks for the help and any new ideas are welcome.

Your more than welcome. It's not surprising it works better in windows. Linux still has its problems with hardware drivers and the screen grabber in vlc isn't very fast. That's why your using a third party screen grabber in windows . A computer that's fast enough in windows, may not be fast enough in linux.

You don't have to capture the entire screen. For example the command line below will capture a 640x360 area at the top left corner of your screen. That
might work better for you.
  Code:
vlc  screen:// :screen-fps=24 :screen-width=640 :screen-height=360 :input-slave=alsa://pulse :sout="#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=10000,fps=24,width=1280,acodec=mp3,ab=192,channels=2,samplerate=44100} :http{dst=:8081/desk.ts}" :no-sout-rtp-sap :no-sout-standard-sap :ttl=1 :sout-keep

You can change the :screen-width= and :screen-height= values to whatever works best for you. Keep them lower than the resolution of your screen and try to
maintain a 16:9 aspect ratio.
<<

Maleficium

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:04 pm

Thanks but it didn't solved the problem. One thing I noticed was the processor cores activity, while in Windows all cores are near 50% in Ubuntu I always have 1 core above 80% while the others are near 30% after starting VLC with the command line in Console.

I get the following log in Console that mention a few errors:

VLC media player 1.1.12 The Luggage (revision exported)
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_ADDRESS")
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_BUS_TYPE")
[0x7a1120] main libvlc: Executando o VLC com a interface padrão. Use 'cvlc' para usar o VLC sem interface.
Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")

(process:4626): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.

(vlc:4626): Gtk-WARNING **: Incapaz de localizar motor de temas na module_path: "pixmap",

(vlc:4626): Gtk-WARNING **: Incapaz de localizar motor de temas na module_path: "pixmap",

[0x7ff864022dc0] main access out: creating httpd
[0x7ff86400ffe0] main input error: ES_OUT_SET_(GROUP_)PCR is called too late (pts_delay increased to 0 ms)

*Incapaz de localizar motor de temas na module_path: "pixmap",
Something like "Unable to find theme engine in module_path: "pixmap","
<<

sre2kor

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:37 pm

Hello,
I am not able to get the sound streamed along with the video. Once It gave the captured the microphone input and played on the TV together with the desktop.
I want to stream the output of my sound card.
I tried the following.
Installing the pavucontrol and followed the intructions from a previous post here
I also tried replacing input-slave=alsa://pulse with input-slave=alsa://hw0,0

The command line that I use is
vlc screen:// :screen-fps=24.000000 :input-slave=alsa://pulse :screen-follow-mouse :screen-mouse-image="~/Pictures/mousepointerimage.png" :sout="#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=10000,fps=24,width=1280,acodec=mp4a,ab=192,channels=2,samplerate=44100} :http{dst=:8081/desk.ts}" :no-sout-rtp-sap :no-sout-standard-sap :ttl=1 :sout-keep

I changed the video and audio codec to get it working in my set up.

Can some body help me..

Return to Serviio Support & Help