FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Newbie Installation

<<

pwheatley

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:49 pm

Newbie Installation

Hello,

Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of a step by step installation and setup guide for Serviio on a Linux distro?

I've been looking through the forum and on other areas associated with the serviio website, and including general Google searches and all I can find are references that assume one has a certain measure of knowledge related to installing a package such as serviio.

Most of the references I see use too much arcane terminology and to tell the truth I don't have hours of time to learn the ins and outs of Linux terminal commands. I just want something along the lines of the information that may have been given the first time serviio was created as to what to do a-z in terms of installing the package, where to put the package, how to open the program, how to run the program, etc.

Does anybody know of any such guide?

Thanks.
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Newbie Installation

Any certain Linux you want to use?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Mark
Beta Tester Group
http://www.serviidb.com Online media resource repository

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

pwheatley

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:26 pm

I'm using Pinguy OS which is an offshoot of Mint.

I'm really just looking for how to go about installing serviio into a directory and then how to run it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
<<

slyguy42o

DLNA master

Post Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:43 pm

the reason we were asking if you are sure you wanted the linux version is that it's rarely as simple as downloading an single executable then running it in the linux world.

using your distro I am sure it's easy to just grab apps and run them, but when your dealing with a software package outside of your distro's repo.. this is when you have to get your hands dirty so to speak.

there is a matter of dependencies, user accounts, and many more moving parts.

I used this guide when I took my first foray into a linux serviio instance, it worked pretty good. maybe you can just extract the relevant bits for your own use.

http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=how ... all:centos
<<

pwheatley

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:57 pm

Thanks for the link. I'll give it a try. I was expecting to get my hands dirty but just lacked a step by step guide and learning the entire Linux programming environment to run one program was not my idea of a good time.
<<

moltra

DLNA master

Post Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:04 pm

The hardest thing i have found is getting ffmpeg configured right.

Ubuntu 12.04 works pretty good and there is a script to install ffmpeg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Mark
Beta Tester Group
http://www.serviidb.com Online media resource repository

Netgear EVA2000 | Samsung BD-D5300 | XBOX 360 | Windows 7 | Mint Debian 12 | Raxz Maxx
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

khurram23

Serviio lover

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:58 pm

Follow the guide in WIKI to get your ffmpeg to compile and work correctly. Use the ffmpeg source from serviio download page.

http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=build_ffmpeg_linux
Dropbox - Get 500MB bonus space.

My pre-compiled FFMPEG, X264 packages for Linux/Ubuntu - Dropbox
<<

gerryo

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:17 pm

khurram23 wrote:Follow the guide in WIKI to get your ffmpeg to compile and work correctly. Use the ffmpeg source from serviio download page.

http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=build_ffmpeg_linux

If you go with Ubuntu 12.04, follow the instructions & discussions on compiling ffmpeg in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6039

Use the ./configure settings supplied by Sagan.
Use the development package list given by Syncopated.

These might work for other distros also.

For some reason, I could not get Serviio to work with online resources unless I used the ffmpeg source from
the wiki & compiled it per the instructions. FYI, I omitted the last step in the wiki guide (rebuild x264) as I got
errors I could not fix.

Seems to work fine so far.
<<

khurram23

Serviio lover

Post Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:04 am

The instructions in WIKI are up to date and should work without issues. If there are issues, do post them so we can update the instructions as needed.

Again, the instructions have been tested on Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10 and work without much debugging and tinkering on most fresh Ubuntu installs.
Dropbox - Get 500MB bonus space.

My pre-compiled FFMPEG, X264 packages for Linux/Ubuntu - Dropbox

Return to Serviio Support & Help