FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Great program but won’t read files on my mapped network HDD

<<

MegaMike

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:22 pm

Great program but won’t read files on my mapped network HDD

I’ve read this forum, and several others, quite thoroughly; I’ve read the Wiki and the FAQ, and still no success. Therefore, I am hoping someone hears my SOS, because I really want to use Serviio in place of TVMobili!!

My set up:
I have a wireless home network in which my laptop runs Windows 7 x 64 Home Premium edition; a Freecom wireless network hard drive that contains media files and folders (this drive is mapped to drive letter Z in Windows, and the laptop has no troube interacting with these files on the Freecom drive); Samsung C series television that also has a wireless network connection. Currently, TVMobili is installed on my laptop streams and effortlessly streams media files from the Freecom drive to the TV. It works perfectly.

I have just found Serviio, and I desperately want to use this instead of TVMobili because it offers several features that I really want to us. My problem is Serviio for some reason will not read the files on the Freecom drive, even though TVMobili does. So what am I doing wrong?

What I have done:
Serviio is installed on the laptop and starts without a problem. The TV is receiving the Serviio signal, and files that are actually located on the laptop stream to the TV without a problem. On the Serviio console I’ve tried to add this drive a variety of different ways: Library > Shared Folders tab > Add path > \\FND\share
Z:\
Z:\movies
Z:\movies\name_of_film folder
The TV sees Serviio’s presentation folders, but there is nothing in them.

I’ve also read about configuring the service to run under my user I.D. This is a bit complicated for me because I’m not sure what user I.D. or password to use. I do have a Windows screen saver password, and I entered that for Serviio on the Services folder, but that didn’t work either (BTW..I’m THE Windows administrator so I would assume that I am authorized to share files). Also, I’ve deactivate the LimitBlankPasswordUse in the registry. Is there something else that I am supposed to enter here? What else am I supposed to do???

I’ve read and applied the advice given here: http://www.serviio.org/component/conten ... ?id=21#q10, and here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8233&p=57586&hilit=mapped+network+drive#p57586 and here: http://supremetechs.com/2012/01/12/addi ... o-library/. No joy :(

I would really love to use Serviio, so any step-by-step advice would be greatly appreciated!
<<

miksa

Serviio lover

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:45 pm

Re: Great program but won’t read files on my mapped network

MegaMike wrote:(BTW..I’m THE Windows administrator so I would assume that I am authorized to share files).
yes, Windows admin can share files. But you need to make sure that Windows account under which Serviio is running is NOT "Local System Account" and that account can access REMOTE files.
- Mike
<<

MegaMike

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:51 pm

Thanks for the reply. I entered a user ID and password in Services for Serviio but it still didn't solve the problem.

But just to make sure, the ID and password that I should enter are the same as the user ID and password that I use to log into Windows when the computer first boots up and displays the screen saver. Also, I went back to the services section to double check that the settings I set for Serviio were correct and accepted by the system. What I notice is that my user ID is still there, but it appears like the password has been changed. The password his hidden by dots of course, but there are a lot more dots there now than what my password actually contains :?:

I've also though about deleting my Windows password all together and modifying the Windows registry key “LimitBlankPasswordUse”.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:29 pm

as per the FAQ, don't use drive names, but UNC path
<<

MegaMike

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:17 pm

As indicated in my original post, the UNC path was used and entered as \\fnd\share. As an update, I also deleted my Windows password and modified the Windows registry, but then Serviio would not start. When I restored the Windows password, Serviio starts just fine.

Problem is still unsolved if anyone has an idea. I'm able to stream files directly from my laptop, but not from my wireless network drive. What's so great about Serviio is the large number of file types that it will handle. Unlike TVMobili, I can stream flv and vob files without a problem. I think it also worked with an mp4 file. This is the reason why I am so desperate to get it to work.

Anyone???
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:30 pm

Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator
<<

MegaMike

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:09 pm

Followed those instructions 100%. Instructions for working with a pass work and without a password were followed (I don't need to repeat them here again). And since in that post I saw a mention about uninstalling and then reinstalling Serviio, I tried doing that too.

Still not solved
<<

dbrockma

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:44 am

I too am having difficulties. My setup is thus:

Windows Server 2008 R2 fileserver ----------local network----------Windows Server 2008 R2 serviio -----> Public routable IP number-----> Internet

My local network also has a router and internet connection.

I have read, and tried all the 'run service as user', etc. in this and the other 2 threads. My basic question about UNC... is \\homeserver\movies the same as \\192.168.1.2\Movies? Would Serviio behave different if an IP number is used instead of the name?

I am using workgroups. The server that Serviio is running on is running on the Administrator account. As the administrator, I have full rights to access my fileserver and the account there is setup so that the administrator uses the local password for all network shares off the file server. At first I mapped the drives I wanted, one for Movies and one for TV Shows, but alas it did not work and I started reading the FAQ and posts here.
Much like the OP, I removed the mapped shares from Serviio library, added them back as \\192.168.1.148\Movies and \\192.168.1.149\TV_Shows and it still does not work.
If I look on the Serviio browser and login, I click Video, Folders and it shows 3 items. TV_Shows, Movies and on local directory on the machine itself I had for testing.
If I click on Movies or TV_Shows, it says 'No content available'.

I think there are a few things going on, but I believe that Serviio SHOULD be able to use a mapped drive in this scenario. The Serviio service is running under the administrator account, not a user. The administrator can get to all the shares (either UNC OR mapped drive letter) and the service should work either logged in as 'the local system account' or explicitly as 'administrator' with the admin password used to log into the system.

Yes, I could run Serviio on the fileserver directly (and I did that at first for testing) but I really want the gateway computer to be the point of entry.
I am thoroughly impressed with the software and intend to use it, and am willing to do debugging, take traces, even let developers have access to the system if they want.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:08 am

Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator

Return to Serviio Support & Help