FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

New user experience so far....

<<

Firoj

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:33 pm

New user experience so far....

Hi everyone, having acquired a second hand NAS box [Thecus N5550] I was really pleased to find out that there was a decent media server module available for it. Version 1.8 is now up and running!
This area seems to be about everyone's experience with the software, so here goes, hope this helps and thanks for what I hope to be something I can get working fully for me...

Experience so far:-

The good....
Thanks to the developer that pulled together the module, installation was really straightforward, not always the case with an old NAS box...
User interface is really nice!
Great to see a media player that integrates with the system, designed for remote viewing and transcoding on the fly... perfect!
Remote access is working!

The bad....?

My media library has always been stored on my NAS storage and organised in line with the structure required by the likes of YAMJ. I backup my bluray disc per its folder structures, i.e. movies -> filmname -> BDMV folder, CERTIFICATES folder etc...
Whilst the likes of YAMJ is perfectly happy with this format, and produces a very nice output with the Aeon skin on my old Popcorn Hour C-200, this media system doesn't seem to like it, and having scanned everything I've got a long long list of duplicate titles called "STREAM", which is the parent folder for the m2ts file. I'm kind of hoping there is a switch I'm yet to find that will magically tell the scanner that I'm using blurays.
Likewise for DVDs the VOB files are duplicated, although I've ticked the stacking option.
It's hard to tell whether it's got the entire collection or not, it might have? it has 2819 movie files according to the welcome page, although in reality the number of films I have is circa 270. Wading through these will make things pretty unusable, so I'm keen to learn what's the easiest way to fix this...

The ugly...
Not sure if this is a fair test or not, but using the media player in a web page, on a laptop on my LAN, but using the public facing web address (not internal IP), I get stuttering every few seconds even on low quality.
Upload speeds according to speedtest.net are circa 11-12 Mbps. I've got QoS on the router to prioritise the port used by serviio for upload purposes.
The NAS box is a dual core Atom D2550 with 4GB RAM. Looking at the system monitor I think it's OK, system resources don't appear to be an obvious constraint....
My lack of knowledge around profiles and suchlike... unclear what I might need to do in this area.
https://100001.onl/ https://1921681254.mx/
There you go. Actually one of my films is the good the bad and the ugly!
Any advice appreciated, feel like if I can get the streaming/transcoding working well, and get the scanning working, this will be a winner...
All the best
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:44 am

Re: New user experience so far....

Welcome!

Serviio isn't designed to stream media from a BD disk folder structure. It is designed to stream a single media file, although it is capable of linking (stacking) multiple parts of the same video as long as the file names are in the correct format. It simply isn't capable of handling your file format. What works best with Serviio is to use a program such as MakeMKV to rip the disk to a single MKV file, with whatever audio and caption tracks you wish to retain. As long as the file is named properly, Serviio can retrieve metadata from online databases to populate things such as the cover image, release year, actors, director, etc.

The stuttering you are seeing is because your NAS isn't powerful enough to transcode the media for use by MediaBrowser. It uses HTML5 for playback, and I'm uncertain if any media is playable without transcoding. Perhaps MP4, but I really don't know. My Serviio PC is a quad core i5 with 8 GB of RAM, and it can play without stuttering.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to User experiences