Post Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:57 pm

Monkey's Audio (APE tag support, oh what a relief it is)

Well, just wanted to take a moment to express my gratitude over what seems to be an unexpected and possibly out-of-the-blue change to how Serviio handles Monkey's Audio and other files (MPC, WavPack, etc.) that use APE tags. For the longest time, if I wanted to select and playback any files that used APE tags, I would have to go to the "All Music" category while browsing the server library and find specific folders that contained such files for playback. I previously went so far as to put in a request over on the jaudiotagger bitbucket webpage to request support for APE tags but apparently something recently changed and I can now see any of these non-ubiquitous file types sorted into genre, artist, album, etc. It's great! But on top of all this, and I'm not sure if other Serviio users are aware, APEv2 tags can apparently support multi-genre tagging with a "/" placed in the genre field. I could be totally behind the times with all of this, or I was perhaps not paying enough attention to it, but the ability to split items into different genres is no small thing and is not something I seem to be able to do with ID3 tags of any version. Anyway, thanks for the great DLNA server and if anyone has a method or knows of an application (MP3tag maybe?) that can easily change file tag types, I would appreciate any suggestions.