FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Computer too weak??

<<

mostsleek

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:46 pm

Computer too weak??

Some times I have issues with HD becoming jerky or dropping a few frames. I can play the movie fine over the network from a computer, ie added a network drive. However using Serviio it does not work 100%. So I have concluded it is either the computer or my Samsung player. I am tying to find the weakest point.

Would adding a GPU upgrade the experience or is it only done 100% on the CPU?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:59 pm

Re: Computer too weak??

To my knowledge FFMPEG (which is what Serviio uses for transcoding) does not use GPU acceleration, so a CPU upgrade is about all that would help.

How much memory do you have, and what is your CPU? Might even be your hard drive transfer rate, if it's an older motherboard/drive.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

mostsleek

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:43 pm

It is an older CPU, Althon Single core 2.2Ghz, 2x512MB memory(1GB), running XP Pro 32bit. The graphics card or lack there of...is integrated. It is 100% remote access only, no monitor, no keyboard, no mouse...only a power cable and LAN(gigabit).

I know it is not the HDD transfer rate since I can play the files from one computer seamlessly. Plus the HDDs are SATA.
<<

mostsleek

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:37 am

Well...I do not think it my computer, or my Samsung player, or my network.

I was having issues with my player randomly losing connection with Serviio. It would happen at random times. There are some other post about this same issue with Samsung players and the newer versions 1.4 and 1.3.1. I downgraded to version 1.2.1 and the file worked perfectly and other files, that before it lost connection, it also worked fine.

I have one Samsung F series and one E Series. Both were having the same problem with the new Serviio versions.

Good think I keep all the old versions of Serviio. I did have to completely uninstall Serviio to downgrade and it had to re-index my library.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:13 am

You are correct, the CPU and ram are on the skimpy side. If there is little to no transcoding required, then you should be fine. I know nothing about the Samsung products, so I don't know what files will play natively. However, if transcoding is necessary, that could be a problem for you as well.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

mostsleek

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:04 am

Thanks for replying.

I have concluded based on two or three different files that before would not work and the random "Serviio lost connection" has stopped when I downgraded to Serviio 1.2.1.

When I built this computer, its primary function was to be storage server with FTP access. About a four years ago I discovered DLNA and Serviio. Since then it has become more and more a media server.
<<

peterpan

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:27 pm

i have serviio runing on a very old pc that i had year ago and
it work just fine
when i say old there is no cd rom in the base lol :D

Come And See The New Social Network At :- http://www.linkbook.t15.org

This Is A New Website So Come And Be A Part Of It Please
<<

NX3

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:02 am

And serviio runs on a raspberry pi, arm single core 700mhz, 512mb ram..... So it can go small

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk
<<

mostsleek

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:10 pm

I have concluded it was/is a connectivity issue. I had the same issue with PLEX, PANDORA, and Netflix.

My Samsung player has a issue where it disconnects from the wireless network...permanently until you reboot it. When it randomly disconnects and you try to verify connection it only display the option for wired connection only. Once you reboot it will find and work with the wireless. The time of the disconnect will be random maybe 1 minute...10 minutes...100 minutes. I tried changing routers from media link 802.11N, which is a piece of SHIT, to my old reliable Linksys wrt54g using both stock firmware and DD-WRT. I had the same issue. If I hard wire it from my router to my Samsung it seems to have been working fine for awhile.

I have tried updating the firmware and restoring the firmware on the Samsung to stock and it still has the same issue. I tried to see if this is known issue, however I have not come across anything.

Samsung BD-FM59C which is the Costco version of the BD-F5900.

Return to User experiences