FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Device to act as DLNA client for 'non' Smart TV

<<

jondw1970

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:53 pm

Device to act as DLNA client for 'non' Smart TV

Hi, I currently use Seviio via a Sony BSP 480/Ethernet cable to stream content from my PC - all working very well. However, I have another TV (non smart, non wifi etc) and I would like to stream my PC content to this also.

In the 2nd TV location, I do not have Ethernet, so another similar Bluray player would be expensive as would have to use homeplug/Wifi dongle so I am looking at possibly one of the Android TV sticks or similar / Wd Live TV boxes?

Has anyone any experience with any of the current products available that will allow me to see my Servioo PC (over wifi) and then stream content to the new TV / fully supported by Serviio?

PC running Serviio is fairly decent/i7 and my router is dual band abgn - so should not have signal issues!

Any advice appreciated, thanks
<<

Marksuk

Serviio lover

Post Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:18 pm

Re: Device to act as DLNA client for 'non' Smart TV

I use a Roku box to do this as they are now DLNA compliant, it does not support .avi files however, mp3. mp4, mkv and jpg files are supported. It was not bought for this reason but a recent upgrade has made is possible to do this now.
<<

Canadian Diver

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:29 pm

I have 4 WD Live TV boxes in my house and 3 of the 4 are running on Wifi.

I have to say, they work great with Serviio and the price is right. They are far more reliable than using my so called 'smart' tv's.
<<

jondw1970

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:58 pm

Seen a wd TV Non live version, quite cheap are the live versions worth the extra £

Also, the 25 pound samsung official dongle, though looks to be for smart TV, seem to have Samsung all share built in? Would this enable me to stream from Serviio or is that ambitious!

Thanks for help
<<

Iveky

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:18 pm

tv HAVE TO support DLNA

Sent from my LG-E440 using Tapatalk 2
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:32 pm

Iveky wrote:tv HAVE TO support DLNA

Sent from my LG-E440 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure if Tapatalk messed up what you were saying, but the TV does not have to support DLNA. There are many devices that can act as the stream player and feed it to a TV. I use Sony Media Players (SMP-N200) and Sony Blu Ray players (BDP-S3100), but there are many other devices available.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to User experiences