FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

My experience

<<

Vin

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:52 pm

My experience

I'm using Serviio with a Samsung C6000 TV. I've tried mediatomb and minidlna so far, but they were not really being actively developed anymore. And of course I had some compatibility issues with the DLNA server and my TV. So I found Serviio, and so far, I'm liking it. The support for Series titles is really handy and eases navigation on the Samsung a lot.

Only question I have: please open-source it! Why do we need to decompile JARs to see ugly, uncommented code if we could have the real deal :-) It would also be easier to contribute. I see a lot of feature requests, and some users might wanna take a shot at implementing it (myself included).
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:58 pm

Re: My experience

erm the fact its all in jars has nothing to do with ' open source ' the jars are just archives nothing more winrar opens them just like any other archive and then ur free to edit.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

Vin

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:18 pm

Yep, but the jars contain compiled java code instead of the sources..
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:21 pm

Vin wrote:Yep, but the jars contain compiled java code instead of the sources..

yep and that for a reason to stop people stealing the code and even if they did decompile it they would be in breach of the GPL and open to prosicution.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:28 pm

Cerberus wrote:
Vin wrote:Yep, but the jars contain compiled java code instead of the sources..

yep and that for a reason to stop people stealing the code and even if they did decompile it they would be in breach of the GPL and open to prosicution.

Just to clarify: Serviio is not under GPL, it has it's own EULA (which I'm sure you all read when you installed the SW ;-) ) under which you CAN decompile Serviio for your own use (and the other libraries mostly too, check their licences). If you come up with some great code and want to share, feel free to send it to me and I'll see if it can be incorporated into the release.

Return to User experiences