FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Re-scanning USB media content (why)

<<

earlR

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:08 am

Re-scanning USB media content (why)

It's my 1st week using Serviio and already I feel it's far better than anything else out there.
I have a 4TB portable USB drive (always mounted as drive M: on PC) that is used for as my media library that Serviio does a great job scanning & I use my Samsung SmartTV to view the video.

But here is the issue.
My portable hard drive gets quite hot and I don't have any reason to leave it powered on during the day (only after work nightly or on weekends do I need it powered on).

However, if the USB drive is ever disconnected from the PC then Serviio starts to re-scan for media all over again.
Why can't it remember the contents from when it previously scanned the 4TB USB (since the path is always the same M: drive) ?

Please excuse me if there is a setting for this and I'm asking a trivial question.
I did have a brief look at system parameters but could not see anything obvious to change to solve this issue.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:27 am

Re: Re-scanning USB media content (why)

Unfortunately when your drive is disconnected and Serviio scans the shared folder, it determines the file is unavailable and assumes it has been deleted. It then removes that file from the library.

You can partially help this by turning off "Keep Library Automatically Updated" in the Serviio Console, Library tab. After that you will need to press "Force Refresh" to manually update your library (which you will only do after connecting the drive). Unfortunately this isn't the end of the story - Serviio will always perform a scan on start-up (and if your drive is unavailable, remove the files from your library). This aspect wont be fixed until next release - see https://bitbucket.org/xnejp03/serviio/i ... startup-if.

Even after the next release I still think it will be an issue. imho Serviio needs to detect whether the shared folder exists before scanning it (if it doesn't exist, then assume the drive is disconnected and do not perform the scan for that particular shared folder). Unfortunately this strategy presents a risk in that if the shared folder is actually physically deleted/renamed (but not correspondingly removed/renamed from the shared folder list in Serviio console) those files will never be removed from the library.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:42 pm

Re: Re-scanning USB media content (why)

After your drive gets scanned, turn off (deselect) the blue rotating circle for that drive and serviio will retain the scanned metadata regardless of the drive status.

Return to User experiences