FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Is there a way to stream .wav files ?

<<

handygrandad

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:11 pm

Is there a way to stream .wav files ?

Hi all,

I'm new to Serviio and was prompted to try it after buying a Sony "Smart" TV. I have successfully installed Serviio and can now stream my video and photo collection to the TV from the PC (at the other end of the house) via Powerline adaptors. I have been delighted with the results and it is a real pleasure to watch my videos on a large screen TV, rather than the smaller monitor. :D

I wonder if anyone can help me with an audio streaming problem. I have a large collection of ripped Cds on a dedicated hard drive. These are all recorded in .wav file format to preserve the original quality. I don't seem to be able to stream these to the TV via Serviio. :? I have tried other formats, and have established that .mp3 files stream OK, but I would really like to stream the .wav files. Is there a way this can be done ?

handygrandad
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:05 pm

Re: Is there a way to stream .wav files ?

That is not supported yet.
<<

handygrandad

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:19 pm

Hi Petr,

Thanks for the prompt reply ... ... I am surprised, and a little disappointed ... ... but I note your use of the word - "yet" ... so I will stay hopeful.

Thanks again
handygrandad
<<

vladimir

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:15 pm

Hi handygrandad

Serviio supports flac. I suggest you compress your .wav files into the .flac format. You can do this using the free Flac frontend utility, from http://flacfrontend.sourceforge.net/.

Flac uses lossless compression, so there should be little or no appreciable loss to the sound quality of your wavs.

Good luck,
<<

handygrandad

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:37 am

Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for the info. I have done a bit of research and .flac seems to be an improvement on the .wav format. i.e. the same, or better quality with a reduction in the storage space needed.

I was quite keen to use the .wav format initially because Windows Media Player did a good job of ripping: I could set it up to automatically find the album details, rip to my chosen drive and then eject the disc. All I had to do was re-load the next disc! Unfotunately .wav was the only lossless file format on offer.

Since you have introduced me to .flac, I have discovered that the NCH Disc Ripper supports .flac and also automatically traces the online album info before ripping.

I will do a test run shortly, to ensure that there are no hidden problems ... ... and ... ... if everything goes well, I will convert the lot to .flac.

Many thanks for the tip .... .... not only have you solved my problem .... ... you have also saved me a lot of disk space. :D :D :D

Best wishes
Handygrandad
<<

vladimir

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:23 pm

Hi handygrandad

Happy to be of help! Yes, saving disk space is another plus for using flac encoding. WAV meets broadcasting standards, but for the rest of us with limited storage space, flac is the way to go.

Another possible utility for ripping your CDs is Exact Audio Copy, which you can download from http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

This does the rip, and also finds and embeds online metadata (i.e. track titles etc.) The reason I like it is because you can also use it to build a cuesheet, thus preserving the exact timing and order of the CD. This is especially handy for gapless playback, if the situation warrants it.

That said, I gather Serviio doesn't support playback of .cue files. Even so, the cue file is useful, and it's not an overhead for storage.

Hope your tests go well,

Best

Vladimir
<<

g725s

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:51 am

vladimir wrote:That said, I gather Serviio doesn't support playback of .cue files. Even so, the cue file is useful, and it's not an overhead for storage.

fYI, The CUE Sheet is for gapless playback or CD burning. Where if you have an album where one song lead directly into the next song without pause, the CUE Sheet will playback your individual FLAC files as if they were the played directly off the original album, or burn a CD as if it were the original album or CD.

Foobar2000(blows away iTunes) will play CUE sheets, and is a great player for FLAC audio. Also there is a good ripper dBpoweramp CD Ripper. And the guy who wrote Exact Audio Copy has a paid (and much user friendly version) called Easy Audio Copy.
<<

IngoP

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:26 am

FLAC is a good codec, but there would be problems at extracting them from CD into single files if you got a LIVE CD.
Then you will get a gap between both tracks instead of using gapless playback (DMP)
So I used to extrakt a image file with cue file ... works fine, but sadly not with servio :cry:

Return to User experiences