FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

HEVC x265 works, but...

<<

Sheist!

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:02 am

HEVC x265 works, but...

HEVC x265 video-encoded file types work now, but ...
... only when I upgraded to the latest ffmpeg.exe manually. The reason I did so was because of ffmpeg faulting to the event viewer on my server machine. The manual update fixed that problem. (see the link to update ffmpeg on the Serviio wiki)

Not perfect, though. A 19 min 24 second test file .mkv shows as only 4 min 12 seconds duration in Serviio, but it does play all the way to the end of the 20 minute episode despite the stated time limit.

However, fast forward and resume are not working as of yet for this video stream. Fast forward still works fine on regular file types.

But... at least it plays all the way through if I just don't touch it. If I have to restart it, it does not resume.

HEVC benefits are drastically improved quality and very small file size (a typical HEVC is 345 Kbps and is perfect quality and size smaller than even a converted/compressed file, whereas the approx 452Kbps I usually get after manual compression is nowhere near perfect quality), but since the controls are not yet worked out, it is not a perfect solution, for now.

(Using latest Serviio 1.6)

:D
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:27 pm

Re: HEVC x265 works, but...

My guess is that since few devices can play HEVC files it is being transcoded (and changing FFMPEG also points to transcoding). Many playback devices will not FF rewind or resume with transcoded files. Nothing Serviio can do about that. Sometimes the transcoding can use a different file type that allows trick play (that's what these actions are referred to as).

That also explains the inaccurate time length. Many devices will only report the time remaining based on the file size (or some other calculation), and since the transcoded file is still being created during playback it reports based of the file as it exists. I see the same thing when playing back an online video from DailyMotion, since my Roku requires transcoding to play the file.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Sheist!

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:47 am

atc98092 wrote:My guess is that since few devices can play HEVC files it is being transcoded (and changing FFMPEG also points to transcoding). Many playback devices will not FF rewind or resume with transcoded files. Nothing Serviio can do about that. Sometimes the transcoding can use a different file type that allows trick play (that's what these actions are referred to as).

That also explains the inaccurate time length. Many devices will only report the time remaining based on the file size (or some other calculation), and since the transcoded file is still being created during playback it reports based of the file as it exists. I see the same thing when playing back an online video from DailyMotion, since my Roku requires transcoding to play the file.

I am NOT transcoding. I previously disabled transcoding in the Serviio console, and the server has been stopped/restarted (rebooted machine) many times since then. :mrgreen:
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:13 am

Sheist! wrote:
atc98092 wrote:My guess is that since few devices can play HEVC files it is being transcoded (and changing FFMPEG also points to transcoding). Many playback devices will not FF rewind or resume with transcoded files. Nothing Serviio can do about that. Sometimes the transcoding can use a different file type that allows trick play (that's what these actions are referred to as).

I am NOT transcoding. I previously disabled transcoding in the Serviio console, and the server has been stopped/restarted (rebooted machine) many times since then. :mrgreen:

If there's no transcoding, to my knowledge FFMPEG is never called, so changing it should have had no impact. Sounds like it's still enabled, regardless of setting. I can't explain why... :shock:
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:07 am

Transcoding may also occur if you have "Enable burned-in subtitles" enabled, so check that.
Perhaps post both MediaInfo and ffmpeg -i info for the file and see if that sheds any light. What device and profile is being used?
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.

Return to User experiences