FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio Pro 2.x is dead for me on Mac M1

<<

MacVador

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:37 pm

Serviio Pro 2.x is dead for me on Mac M1

Hi,
I used for a long time Serviio Pro to stream DSD content that is on a NAS from my working Mac but I had to replace the computer for a M1 Mac Mini and on this machine, no way to share the NAS content… In fact, Serviio does not see the mounted volume in Volumes?!? I have tried the use of symbolic links without success. This is somehow frustrating as this is the only blocking point. If I put some files on the internal HD, then the detection of the files and sharing works…
Regards.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:30 pm

Re: Serviio Pro 2.x is dead for me on Mac M1

I'm not experienced with the MacOS, so my comments are more generic and I can't identify the exact steps you need to follow.

Serviio by default runs as a system user. If you've mounted your NAS under your user account, the system user account cannot see that mounting. The same thing happens with Windows or Linux. In the case of Windows, the system service account it runs under has very little network access, so it can't even see the NAS, let alone have permission to access it.

The easiest solution is to change the user account that the Serviio service uses. Here's where I can't tell you exactly how to do that. But you need Serviio to run under the same user account as you use to mount the NAS volumes. There are likely other ways to make it work, but it's going to be more involved as it requires changing permissions and lots of other complicated stuff. :D
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

MacVador

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:58 am

Thank you Dan for this info, but on my previous Mac (intel and older system but not so different…) I have not done any special thing and I was able to select the NAS volume and subfolder to share…
I will take a look more carefully, but normally, all shares present in "Volumes" are accessible to all users and hopefully "system".

HURRAY!

Thank to you again! With your remark, this let me think a new special feature of MacOS: disk protection… Therefore I went to System Preferences/Confidentiality and there I gave full disk access to… …Java and that's done ! Serviio now see the share and can access the DSD folder! :D

Simple solution to a strange problem…
Thank you again!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:13 pm

Love it when a plan works... :D
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to User experiences