FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Don't do it..

<<

gfch

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:03 am

Don't do it..

The new Serviio is useless.

I had the previous version for years and was very happy with it so when the new one came out I figured why not.

Mistake. It rendered viewing my shows on any of my devices at home impossible.

With the previous version I simply selected Serviio as the Source on my TV, scrolled through the Folders and files and press play. That was all that was required (other than adding the appropriate folder).

Now, I get nothing and no clue or hints on how to make it work. The only device I can watch my video files on is the PC on which Serviio is installed.

It's over complicated, with minimal setup instructions that don't help.

This should simply work as it did in previous version. It doesnt

2.0 is useless.

How do I get my money back?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:21 am

Re: Don't do it..

The only thing that really changed with 2.0 is user accounts. But it isn't necessary to set them up for device control. It's mostly for MediaBrowser use. If you leave the devices in your Status page with no specific user assigned, then all devices can view the entire library. There is a bug in the current version that you can't change a user assignment after one as been assigned. But any device that has the user as unassigned should be able to view your entire library.

So, did you assign users to your devices on the status page? If so, then the next thing you need to do is to assign that user access to each shared folder. Yes, some improved documentation would be nice, but just ask here and we'll help you out.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:09 am

atc has given you excellent advice that is returned with avarice and hatred by you. You can email dev and ask for refund, charge back the card, and also it seems everyone else who uses serviio understands what an ip address is and how to use a computer.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:34 am

NIGASIAQA wrote:With the previous version I simply selected Serviio as the Source on my TV, scrolled through the Folders and files and press play. That was all that was required (other than adding the appropriate folder).

Works the same way with 2.x. User accounts must be set up for MediaBrowser use, but for internal network DLNA streaming it's unnecessary. But if you do assign a user to a device on your network, then that device can only access media folders for which they have explicitly given access.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to User experiences