FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio 2.0 and Playlists

<<

vaerc

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:50 pm

Serviio 2.0 and Playlists

Hello, long time Serviio user, not-often-time poster. Wanted to share a recent experience I had with getting playlists up and running.
However first a big thank-you to the developers of this work of art! It has been the answer to some long running problems encountered by many restrictive and deprecated media software (softwares?).

I run Gentoo Linux on my main system which serves my audio and video files. I, since forever, have enjoyed creating music playlists for myself. When I found out that Serviio correctly shares playlists, I dropped playlist creation on the dlna client apps and made them on the Gentoo box (since for one reason or another I'd reinstall Serviio or its shares, and the client links would become stale).

Like most serious audiophiles, I keep my giant music folders on a separate drive (call it /mnt/arcade/Music). For convenience, I symlinked that folder to my home directory (call that /home/vaerc/Music), and made a 'playlist' folder dedicated to -guess what- playlists inside of it.

M3U playlists with absolute paths did NOT work for me. Neither did any other formats. They weren't visible on any of my networked dlna clients. Relative playlists worked fine, I could see them in the dlna menus. I would have been content with this, but local programs on the Gentoo box (VLC, etc) would not play these relative path playlists. I could either have A) two playlist copies, one relative and one absolute or B) solve this problem.

I found this post which got me started. It convinced me absolute paths could work, and I didn't have to waste gray matter making two of each playlist. Looking at Serviio's DEBUG logs, I found that while I was sharing the symlink "/home/vaerc/Music" in Serviio, my absolute path playlists were referencing files in "/mnt/arcade/Music".

Seeing this, I changed all my playlists to point to files through /home/vaerc/Music, instead of using the real paths. Like magic (but completely science-y) it worked! The playlists appeared on the clients! It seems that even if playlists reference the same files that Serviio is hosting, if the paths to get to them differ, Serviio will ignore the playlist file.

So, TL/DR: When making playlists, keep in mind the path to the folders you originally input into Serviio. Do use that path in making playlists, regardless of what symlink cleverness you got going on.
There!
<<

Kasey00

Serviio newbie

Post Sat May 30, 2020 8:09 am

Re: Serviio 2.0 and Playlists

I've been using Serviio for years to watch my movies on several devices. Everything is fine. So it is for music, mp3-files.
Now I wanted to enhance file availability and include Playlists for my chatiw mp3Files. Local and networkshare only!
I added the folder "\\media\music\Playlists" containing playlists and I also tried to add as local "G:\music\Playlists". No matter what I add to carbonite library. Playlists are not added. No matter which playlist-format - PLS, M3u, m3u8.
Nothing. If I view MediaBrowser -> Audio -> Playlists. It's empty. If I view Audio->Folders->Playlists. It's empty.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat May 30, 2020 3:42 pm

Kasey00 wrote:I've been using Serviio for years to watch my movies on several devices. Everything is fine. So it is for music, mp3-files.
Now I wanted to enhance file availability and include Playlists for my chatiw mp3Files. Local and networkshare only!
I added the folder "\\media\music\Playlists" containing playlists and I also tried to add as local "G:\music\Playlists". No matter what I add to carbonite library. Playlists are not added. No matter which playlist-format - PLS, M3u, m3u8.
Nothing. If I view MediaBrowser -> Audio -> Playlists. It's empty. If I view Audio->Folders->Playlists. It's empty.

Can you upload an example of one of your playlist files? My guess is it's in the file location formatting.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:21 pm

Kasey00 wrote: If I view MediaBrowser -> Audio -> Playlists. It's empty. If I view Audio->Folders->Playlists. It's empty.

Are you now on Version 2.0 or 2.1?
If so, are you using usernames?
Are your old playlists still working?
I wonder if there is now a similar "username" problem with playlists as there is with "Online" content?
The issue may be in your topic heading "Serviio 2.0 and Playlists".

Check if your playlists appear OK in another control app other than MediaBrowser? If they do the username issue may be the cause.
See viewtopic.php?f=42&t=24378&start=20#p130221 for possible similar issue.

Also I use "relative" addresses not "actual" addresses in my playlists - more flexible.

UPDATE: I did a test by removing the -Dserviio.cdsAnonymousAccess=true option on my trial system (I do not use usernames) and restarted Serviio.
I then had to login to MediaBrowser with a username and I found my playlists had disappeared.
Obvious really - there is no way to assign a username to a playlist (or use blank usernames) ! - but then we do not assign usernames to our music tracks and they work in MediaBrowser.
So does this suggest usernames and playlists are currently not compatible under version 2. - refer to Zip for comment.
Serviio Pro v2.3, DBpoweramp & Asset UPnP (R7.4), HP Elitebook, HP Pavilion, Windows 10 Pro, Linn Majik DS/1, NEET AirstreamPro renderer, Naim NAC72/NAP140 (x2), Celestion Ditton 25 and Spendor A5 speakers, WD TV Media Player (x2), Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BDT360, Panasonic TV, Amazon Fire 7 HDX, Kazoo & BubbleUPnP apps, Qobuz Studio Hi-Res.
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:43 pm

Serviio Pro v2.3, DBpoweramp & Asset UPnP (R7.4), HP Elitebook, HP Pavilion, Windows 10 Pro, Linn Majik DS/1, NEET AirstreamPro renderer, Naim NAC72/NAP140 (x2), Celestion Ditton 25 and Spendor A5 speakers, WD TV Media Player (x2), Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BDT360, Panasonic TV, Amazon Fire 7 HDX, Kazoo & BubbleUPnP apps, Qobuz Studio Hi-Res.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:28 pm

So in order for a user to see playlists:
- the playlist file has to be in a shared folder that the user has access to (or they won't see the playlist)
- the media on the playlist have to be in a shared folder the user has access to (or they won't see the items)

Return to User experiences