FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Server status?

<<

badamkhau95

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:08 am

Server status?

Hi all!

I'm new to Serviio, having used ..... pretty much every other media server.

I'd like to say that installation was moderately pain free.... installed on Ubuntu server 16.04 without issue. My Kodi media box detected the media server without issue and even streamed subtitles on anime just fine! (very impressive imo).

The thing that is killing me, is there is virtually NO server status. No currently streaming devices, no current resource usage, I mean .... nothing.

By "virtually NO" I mean, status page lets me know that the server is in fact running....... and that's all. ALL.

If an interface is responding as expecting, does anyone need to know that it's RUNNING? I got that from the fact that the web interface is there and that attached devices can connect.

Are there any plans to implement useful information? Like.... streams currently being served, transcoding status, used cache/mem, cpu usage, and anything else that might tell us how the server is performing?

Thus far, I love HOW it works! I'd just like to know how WELL it works, so I can stream to multiple devices and get an idea about how or where it falls short. In my opinion "server status" should show a LOT more than "running." I searched Google and this site for any documents regarding server status and came up with nothing.

I hope I'm posting in the right place. I suppose this could also or rather be posted in "feature requests," but to me seems a gross lack of user experience.

Best regards
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:37 pm

Re: Server status?

Actually, there is a bit of that available now. On the Status page, when a device is streaming there is an icon to the right of the detected status icon on the very left side. If you click that icon it tells you what title is being streamed, and a rough bar indicating how far along the stream is. If this icon is green, no transcoding is being done. If it's more of an orange, then the file is being transcoded, although it doesn't show if it's the audio, video or both that is being transcoded.

But that is all that is currently provided. I can't say if the developer has any plans for more detailed information. Serviio is a one man operation, so he has to balance a home life and "real" job with the time spent working on Serviio.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:54 pm

Re: Server status?

badamkhau95 wrote:Hi all!

The thing that is killing me, is there is virtually NO server status. No currently streaming devices, no current resource usage, I mean .... nothing.
By "virtually NO" I mean, status page lets me know that the server is in fact running....... and that's all. ALL.
If an interface is responding as expecting, does anyone need to know that it's RUNNING? I got that from the fact that the web interface is there and that attached devices can connect.

Are there any plans to implement useful information? Like.... streams currently being served, transcoding status, used cache/mem, cpu usage, and anything else that might tell us how the server is performing?
Thus far, I love HOW it works! I'd just like to know how WELL it works, ....

The main purpose of the status is to show that it is running as there is the facility to "Stop" the server and then "restart" it.
Dan has indicated the facility showing the track being streamed, but I never use it.

I have used Serviio for almost 6 years and found it fine.
If I tell it to play to a device it does it, I can hear it, what more do I want?
Also I do not monitor or see the server - as it is hidden away and is just there.

There are log files if you want some more info. I do view these occasionally if one of my radio stations disappears due to a changed URL or ceasing broadcasting.
As you "love HOW it works!" - can I respectfully suggest that you just enjoy it.
Serviio Pro v2.3, DBpoweramp & Asset UPnP (R7.4), HP Elitebook, HP Pavilion, Windows 10 Pro, Linn Majik DS/1, NEET AirstreamPro renderer, Naim NAC72/NAP140 (x2), Celestion Ditton 25 and Spendor A5 speakers, WD TV Media Player (x2), Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BDT360, Panasonic TV, Amazon Fire 7 HDX, Kazoo & BubbleUPnP apps, Qobuz Studio Hi-Res.

Return to User experiences