FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

DLNA server not visible on the network - surprising solution

<<

itias

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:34 pm

DLNA server not visible on the network - surprising solution

Hi,

Just wanted to share this as someone may face the same issue as I did.
Long story short, I had serviio configured on my computer as a service and never had issues playing files on my Panasonic TV. All of a sudden I just could not discover the server anymore. Thought it might be related to a new router with OpenWrt - tried couple of things to no avail. Then in desperation I upgraded serviio to a new point version, with no luck. Started digging in the console and it turned out that the issue lied in Bound IP Address setting in the Status section. I had it set to automatic and probably Serviio got confused by VMware and VirtualBox interfaces. I selected my real Eth interface and voila - all started working again.
Hope that helps someone in the same situation - just registered after being a serviio user for good couple of years, to share my experience.

Cheers

Greg
<<

grimmace

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:51 am

Re: DLNA server not visible on the network - surprising solu

Thanks, I installed virtualbox on the my server that runs Serviio and didn't make the connection to my Serviio not showing up issue. It was on auto, and sure enough I had the virtual and physical choices. Picked the physical and it's working fine again. Thanks.
<<

ashmi

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:30 am

It happened to me, but here in the forum they helped me solve it.
<<

matday

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:55 am

itias wrote:Hi,

Just wanted to share this as someone may face the same issue as I did.
Long story short, I had serviio configured on my computer as a service and never had issues playing files on my Panasonic TV. All of a sudden I just could not discover the server anymore. Thought it might be related to a new router with OpenWrt - tried couple of things to no avail. Then in desperation I upgraded serviio to a new point version, with no luck. Started digging in the console and it turned out that the issue lied in Bound IP Address setting in the Status section. I had it set to automatic and probably Serviio got confused by VMware and VirtualBox interfaces. I selected my real Eth interface and voila - all started working again.
Hope that helps someone in the same situation - just registered after being a serviio user for good couple of years, to share my experience.

Cheers

Greg

Just popped by to say thanks Greg. I've just got my 3rd QNap NAS and couldn't fugure out why Serviio wasn't working as you experienced. My problem was also VM related, the other 2 NAS don't run any VM, so i had that lighbulb moment thinking 'i've just setup Virtualisation Station on the new NAS and it uses a virtual switch...' could it be confusing Serviio... By changing the nework setting to the 'real' ethernet connection from automatic my problem was solved too, so thank you! Much appreciated.

Return to User experiences