FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

POOR USABILITY - BASIC STUFF WRONG!!

<<

weeblies

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:59 am

POOR USABILITY - BASIC STUFF WRONG!!

POOR USABILITY - BASIC STUFF IS WRONG!!
On UK Sony BDP-S370 (up-to-date firmware), using XP or Vista with WMP11 & no other software. the Basic navigation/user experience is much better than with Serviio server for two very simple reasons:
1) With wmp12 server, wWhen scrolling lists "The Beatles" appear together with "Beatles" under "B". With Serviio, these are split into two groups under "B" and "T" which is incredibly frustrating and greatly adds to the navigational limitations of DLNA. Even worse - with Serviio, flipping through sequential "Beatles" images for example is not possible (ie. stop & go to "T" to continue!!! Basic stuff.
2) With wmp12 server, only appropriate folders appear for IMAGE, AUDIO, VIDEO. This has been true through all firmwares. But on Serviio, all inappropriate folders appear for each category. Not only is this very frustrating, but WMP11 proves that the design premise for doing this is plain wrong. Again, this is incredibly frustrating and greatly adds to the navigational limitations of DLNA.
3) With wmp11 server, WAV files play - but not with my Serviio (the latest). As well as videos, Serviio plays FLAC and I expect m4a (AAC audio). I hope that Serviio will play m4a (HE-AAC++v2 audio) which has become a very important format long available on most phones. Not yet tried - just installed Serviio.
4) Serviio is not Sony - please put Function before Style - Very many people have great difficulty reading text on a dark background. On a positive note, I do anticipate great video functionality with Serviio. Thank you.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:43 am

Re: POOR USABILITY - BASIC STUFF WRONG!!

did you even bother to read the SONY section of the forums?? and further more sony themselve are recommending serviio as the best DLNA server for their devices.

viewforum.php?f=11
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:57 pm

Re: POOR USABILITY - BASIC STUFF WRONG!!

1) true, it's there for file names, but not for persons/bands. If you want this feature create a bitbucket ticket.
2) that's Sony's implementation that is custom made for WMP. Serviio will include this functionalitytin 0.6
3) There is an open ticket to support wav files and other lossless audio codecs
4) you can change forum skin in your settings

Return to User experiences