FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Works great with Samsung BD-C5500

<<

smeggysmegs

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:25 am

Works great with Samsung BD-C5500

I would just like to say thank for producing such an excellent application.

I started dealing with UPnP/DLNA years ago with a D-Link DSM-520, and I went through through every application out there, eventually landing with Tversity because it provided the closest-to-stable experience for my player. At one point or another I came across Serviio in its earliest stages and remembered to keep it in mind for when I got a Blu-ray player. I wound up using TVMobili for awhile with the Samsung BD-C5500, but it was clumsy, closed-sourced, and it's now apparently pay-as-you-go.

Since I first started with Serviio, it has worked with about 99% reliability. The only snags I had to deal with were Windows Media Player's UPnP functions occasionally stopping playback and the occasional video that wouldn't play (I blame the media, though, not the application), and maybe the rare playback disconnection, but everything was simple, and the problems made sense and were easy to solve. It has been an incredibly smooth experience.

To give you a basic layout of my network:

(Win7x64 PC w/ Serviio) ------wired------- (Netgear WNDR4000[Stock firmware]) -------wireless ------ (Netgear WNCE2001 Bridge[latest firmware]) ------wired -------- Samsung BD-C5500(latest firmware)

Despite what some people on this forum will say about bridging, I've found it generally works a lot better than using some kind of device-integrated wireless (like the D-Link player I had), and your playback shouldn't have an issue as long as you can get a decent signal through; I'm two rooms away and yet get about 85%-90% signal throughput, which provides more than enough bandwidth to stream HD content. It's certainly easier than running cable all about.

The only feature request I can think of is the option to see empty folders. My reasoning is this: I always forget what things are (titles are easily forgotten), and I could easily put a word or two to remind me what something is as a folder title next to the content and be able to see it while navigating videos from my player. Metadata is cumbersome to upkeep, doesn't always display as intended, etc.
This isn't a critical desire or anything, though. I'm certainly satisfied with Serviio as it is.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:56 am

Re: Works great with Samsung BD-C5500

smeggysmegs wrote:The only feature request I can think of is the option to see empty folders. My reasoning is this: I always forget what things are (titles are easily forgotten), and I could easily put a word or two to remind me what something is as a folder title next to the content and be able to see it while navigating videos from my player. Metadata is cumbersome to upkeep, doesn't always display as intended, etc.

Just use the Folders category.
<<

smeggysmegs

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:25 pm

Re: Works great with Samsung BD-C5500

I do, but they still don't show up on the player because they're empty of video content.

It's no big deal. It's more likely a limitation on the player's side.

Return to User experiences