FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Testing with WDTV Live FW v1.01.11

<<

wiiBox

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:29 pm

Testing with WDTV Live FW v1.01.11

regarding the subtitles: you might find out something by using a packet sniffer (not sure what is available for OSX) and listen on the port of the server where subtitles work. Basically we're interested in packets sent when when you try to play a video (there should be some HEAD and GET http requests, one of them possibly asking if there are any subtitles for the requested video). If you can post here (or into the Experience forum - create a topic for your device) the log maybe I can figure out something.

Hi zip, I'm quoting you from the general section. Can I get a more detailed walkthrough on how to debug this for my player? I'm on XP and I wonder if I can use wireshark to sniff this info out? Should the player be asking for the subs when I play a file? Or is it the resposibility of the app to announce it at the moment of playback?

I believe these are the ports opened by serviio: 8895 tcp, 44331 tcp, 1900 udp. Can you breifly explain what each is for or point me to a text where this is explained? And which one should I listen on for the HEAD and GET commands?

v0.2.0 is running without issue for me. Installed it without uninstalling the previous version... I say this just for reference.

I haven't been able to test all the media files type I could, as requested, but I haven't forgoten. ;)
I guess I'd rather concentrate on the sub issue before moving on.

TIA!
Testing on WDTV Live FW v1.01.11
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: Testing with WDTV Live FW v1.01.11

Hi,

good you're trying something ;-) Basically I can only guess by what my Samsung does.

Use Wireshark to listen for TCP packets on port 8895. When I want to play a video the TV makes a couple of requests to that port using HEAD and GET methods. One of them is a HEAD request that includes header getCaptionInfo.sec. This is a Samsung specific header. If subtitle for a video is found Serviio responds with a resource URL for the subtitle file. TV then makes a GET request to fetch the subtitle resource (and it's using some specific mime-type).

Hope this helps.
<<

wiiBox

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:42 am

Great info!

So if a media player doesn't make a similar request for subtitles, to your knowledge, are they breaking the DLNA specs?

I noticed shortly after writing the OP that the intel upnp tools set includes an app called device sniffer. Is it possible to use that app to do what you are discribing? I tried it but didn't see what I expected to see when playing files. :(

It would definitely be simpler if I could use that app, though. lol
I'm not very proficient using the wireshark filter functions. :roll:
Testing on WDTV Live FW v1.01.11
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:14 am

DLNA doesn't say anything about subtitles. The described behaviour is Samsung's implementation, but one that other devices might use as well.

Use this as a filter in Wireshark:

Code:
port 8895

Return to User experiences