FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Shared folder through VPN connection.

<<

Meelis

DLNA master

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:00 pm

Shared folder through VPN connection.

Hello,

Me and my friends are trying to make one database for media. (Lets say shared folder ower internet.) At the moment we hawe everyone own separated database at home. The plan is to place the database to our company server. It has 30mb up and 30mb down speed. (Is it enought speed? I hope it is...) I created from my home pc VPN connection to company server. I shared one folder out from server with media and located thad folder with Serviio. Everything is went well.... i turned on TV and also i able to see that folder but its empty :( Cant see the folder context. What can be the problem? Any solutions? Allso i installed later to company server serviio and i tryed to locate my tv through VPN but no sucsess....

Sry for my bad English :)
Attachments
map.png
Connection map
map.png (20.81 KiB) Viewed 16558 times
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: Shared folder through VPN connection.

Most VPN servers don't pass multicast packets, at least by default, which is what DLNA uses for discovery (the process that let's your TV find the server).

Have a look how to enable multicast forwarding for your VPN server.
Will

ServiiDroid (Android Console) Developer: Download | Home | Support
ServiiGo (Android 3G/4G/WiFi Playback App) Developer: Download | Home | Support
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:11 am

I think he just needs to share the media, ie have a remote drive over internet. Serviio is still on his local network, so multicast would work.

Make sure the user running serviio has access to the network folders. How do you add them to the console?
<<

Meelis

DLNA master

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:11 pm

What you mean share the media? I can share out only the folder and files from folder will be shared. I cant share out just one media file. (see picture 1)
Seems i can access to the network folder. (see picture 2)
This way i added the network folder. (see picture 3) I started from button "Add local..." and then from desktop i used shortcut to network folder.(to locate the folder). This wai i see at least te folder but no context from folder.
I tryed as well form "Add Path...." but after that Serviio is stopped responding and after restart didnt worked any more... Probably i have to reinstall it.
Attachments
share propertis.png
(picture 1)
share propertis.png (94.65 KiB) Viewed 16540 times
User accsess.png
(picture 2)
User accsess.png (56.66 KiB) Viewed 16540 times
Locate folder.png
(picture 3)
Locate folder.png (73.03 KiB) Viewed 16540 times
<<

npuser

DLNA master

Post Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:05 pm

Make sure an account serviio service running under has permission to remote shared drive. If the service is running under Local system account, the serviio has access to just that -folders in local system.

I would suggest on creating a same account with same password in both systems. Use that account to share and map the drive by giving this user read/write permission. And lastly run the serviio service using the same user you created locally.

Thanks
Npuser
<<

Meelis

DLNA master

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:38 am

npuser wrote:Make sure an account serviio service running under has permission to remote shared drive. If the service is running under Local system account, the serviio has access to just that -folders in local system.

I would suggest on creating a same account with same password in both systems. Use that account to share and map the drive by giving this user read/write permission. And lastly run the serviio service using the same user you created locally.

Thanks
Npuser

Probably it will not work if i make accounts with same names. its not enought... Server where shared folder located is domain server. Then probably i have to setup my home pc to that domain by somehow. But is it possible to run Serviio service under some other account? See picture...
Attachments
serviio service.png
serviio service.png (77.28 KiB) Viewed 16525 times
<<

npuser

DLNA master

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:14 pm

If the server is Not a domain controller -then yes, you can create a local account on the domain member server. If the remote server is a domain controller then you have to create the account on the domain - then the account from a domain and the account on remote local system do not auto map as there is no trust relationship (you can force it but it's a no no) between them.

Is your remote server a DC?

Npuser
<<

Meelis

DLNA master

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:26 pm

npuser wrote:If the server is Not a domain controller -then yes, you can create a local account on the domain member server. If the remote server is a domain controller then you have to create the account on the domain - then the account from a domain and the account on remote local system do not auto map as there is no trust relationship (you can force it but it's a no no) between them.

Is your remote server a DC?

Npuser

Here are the server configuration. Yes, its a DC server. It has also configured as web server and ftp.
Attachments
server configuration.PNG
server configuration.PNG (79.92 KiB) Viewed 16514 times
<<

npuser

DLNA master

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:29 pm

Auto mapping of users is not an option, if this is the DC. In that case, you have two options.

1. Run serviio service as any other local user account except local system account
or
2. Map a remote server folder as an domain user [domain\username] from local system in a local user profile and user same user as service account

NPuser
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (38.76 KiB) Viewed 16508 times
<<

Meelis

DLNA master

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:45 pm

Seems those options don't work. I created same user to my home pc like i have it in server. I runned Serviio service under that account (not local any more). I created Map Network drive when vpn is connected and entered username and pass for server. Actually for vpn and login in server i have one and the same account. It must be enought just from vpn connection to see files and runn everything normaly. Then located from Serviio console the drive and same issue. Just empty folder like usually :mrgreen: Any more ideas? I just need to create one media database to workplace and then over internet to see it.

I am not sure but i belive it's a Serviio issue. Serviio cant read out by some reason folder context. At least Serviio can read out the shared folder name. i don't knov... i am out of ideas. Just a wierd problem :roll:
<<

npuser

DLNA master

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:42 am

I was curious about your setup. So i re-created your setup in my test lab (picture attach). I did not have any issue adding and seeing the files.

I do not thing there is anything wrong with serviio. It is something on your end. You only have one jpg there, could you throw in some videos and audios in there as well? Also a detail log would help as well.

NPuser
Last edited by npuser on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Meelis

DLNA master

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:50 pm

Found from log this error....
2012-08-20 22:41:08,761 WARN [LibraryAdditionsCheckerThread] Folder 'Z:\' is either not an existing directory or cannot be read due to access rights

Seems i have to check my settings again. But i cant understand where the problem :lol: Is it the problem with account under what is running serviio service?
<<

Meelis

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:09 pm

Any new ideas how to solve my problem? I created that map network drive... If i am opening it from my home pc then i can do in folder anything... read, write, create and delete. Full control. Located that map to serviio and no accsess rights. Serviio service is still running under localhost. I also used the domain admin account to be sure that i have full access to everything. Also established the vpn with that user. Local pc is also running under admin account. No other accounts in pc. btw... when i am locating that map drive folder, then i have to use DC server local IP address because with domain name it cant find the server from my home. Serviio log is still the same
2012-08-21 23:52:17,642 WARN [LibraryAdditionsCheckerThread] Folder 'Y:\' is either not an existing directory or cannot be read due to access rights
<<

npuser

DLNA master

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:18 am

<<

Meelis

DLNA master

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:41 am

My files (on remote drive) are not scanned
Make sure the user that runs Serviio server/service has got access to the shared folders. If you are on Windows, check that the user running the Windows service has got access. To run the service as a different user go to Services (from the Windows Control Panel → Administrative Tools or typing "Services.msc" in the Run command on Start menu), select Serviio, right-click -> Properties, Log On tab, enter the user's details and restart the service.

The point is if you will make vpn connection to server with domain controller then you are using the domain user account to login. Also after that you have to create "Map Network Drive" and must use for connection again domain user account. After that is possible to use that map drive in windows explorer with full rights. But Serviio service still cant access to Map Network Drive. Its running under local system and dont have premissions to that folder. From service Log On tab you cant enter the username with what to run service. You cant add there the domain user, its only allowed to add local user accounts. Because local pc cant find the domain ower vpn. Question is how to run the serviio service with domain user account? How to grant to Serviio service access to Map Network Drive? Seems its inpossible. Other solution is to runn serviio as simple program without running service. Then it can access to folder. Its not solution to create same username to local pc like it is on the domain server.
<<

will

DLNA master

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:04 pm

Meelis wrote:The point is if you will make vpn connection to server with domain controller then you are using the domain user account to login. Also after that you have to create "Map Network Drive" and must use for connection again domain user account. After that is possible to use that map drive in windows explorer with full rights. But Serviio service still cant access to Map Network Drive. Its running under local system and dont have premissions to that folder. From service Log On tab you cant enter the username with what to run service. You cant add there the domain user, its only allowed to add local user accounts. Because local pc cant find the domain ower vpn. Question is how to run the serviio service with domain user account? How to grant to Serviio service access to Map Network Drive? Seems its inpossible. Other solution is to runn serviio as simple program without running service. Then it can access to folder. Its not solution to create same username to local pc like it is on the domain server.

Try running serviio as a local user and add domain credentials to that user (Windows 7: Select the user in the control panel, then select Manager credentials, then add the credential to the store). It may work automatically if the username and password is the same as the domain account as windows will automatically try that first.
Will

ServiiDroid (Android Console) Developer: Download | Home | Support
ServiiGo (Android 3G/4G/WiFi Playback App) Developer: Download | Home | Support
<<

Meelis

DLNA master

Post Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:56 pm

will wrote:
Meelis wrote:The point is if you will make vpn connection to server with domain controller then you are using the domain user account to login. Also after that you have to create "Map Network Drive" and must use for connection again domain user account. After that is possible to use that map drive in windows explorer with full rights. But Serviio service still cant access to Map Network Drive. Its running under local system and dont have premissions to that folder. From service Log On tab you cant enter the username with what to run service. You cant add there the domain user, its only allowed to add local user accounts. Because local pc cant find the domain ower vpn. Question is how to run the serviio service with domain user account? How to grant to Serviio service access to Map Network Drive? Seems its inpossible. Other solution is to runn serviio as simple program without running service. Then it can access to folder. Its not solution to create same username to local pc like it is on the domain server.

Try running serviio as a local user and add domain credentials to that user (Windows 7: Select the user in the control panel, then select Manager credentials, then add the credential to the store). It may work automatically if the username and password is the same as the domain account as windows will automatically try that first.

Same issue... Cant read shared folder. :( After connection windows by self created those users to credentials. Nothing was to add.
<<

mariad

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:43 am

I am thinking to buy Surfshark after reading this, can you guys tell me that can I share folders through this VPN.

Return to User experiences