FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Very slow fast forward speed

<<

velvetfog

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:52 pm

Very slow fast forward speed

I have been running a DLNA server on my Windows XP Pro workstation for several years, in order to serve up the video files stored on my two external hard drives.
I have a 3 TB drive containing my TV episode collection, and a 2 TB drive containing movies and music.
It has always been a great annoyance to me that DLNA servers did not pass SRT subtitle files, and I tried many different DLNA servers in order to get around this problem.
Since they all appeared to work the same, I reverted back to the Microsoft Media Player DLNA server, and did file conversions on my foreign language movies whereby I burned the subs into the video file.

Then I found serviio, a DLNA server that can handle SRT files.
I installed serviio this last week, and found that while it solved one problem, it created another.
At each of my three TV sets in my house, I have an Asus O!Play HDP-R1 networked media player.
They have 100 Mbit connections to my Gigabit LAN.
These media players have fast forward and reverse video playback speeds of 1.5x, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x & 32x.
All of these speeds work fine with the Microsoft Media Player DLNA server.
But when I run the serviio DLNA server, only the 1.5x and 2x speeds will work on my media players.

Why is that?
Is there some way to fix it?
I really like being able to do high speed fast forward.

Additional info:
Transcoding has been turned off in the console.
The Asus O!Play media players are using the Generic DLNA profile.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:19 pm

Re: Very slow fast forward speed

There is no restriction for that. I'm not sure how the player manages ffwd.
<<

abeicle

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:59 pm

Sounds like you may not know how to fix this problem, however I bet you are in a much better position as a site/developer to get the answer than we are. So just to recap the problem with more explanation, I too am having FF issues. First let me assure you that I have reasonably fast Wi-Fi and do not have lag internet issues. Now, when I access Serviio content and use FF on my Vizio TV, there are 3 speeds FF1, FF2 and FF3. On FF1 (one arrow) it goes slower than normal play! That surely makes no sense. FF2 (two arrows) goes at about normal play speed (but looks like Fast Forward because it is only showing like every 10th frame or thereabouts). On FF3 (three arrows) it is maybe about 2x normal play which is better than nothing but absolutely gut wrenching if you are trying get to a position say, half way or further in a show. I could not find a way in the console to calibrate FF and Rewind. Not familiar with Serviio supporing files, Is there a value for FF/Rewind in a configuration file that can be increased or adjusted?

I am appreciative of the FF/Rewind features. Now just want to get it working properly. Thank you.

zip wrote:There is no restriction for that. I'm not sure how the player manages ffwd.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:39 pm

FFwd is totally managed by the players. They ask the server for different parts of the files, so they are in control of the ffwd speed.
<<

Rosales_Network

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:47 am

I am using the built in music player with serviigo to access audio, but I fast forward to the next song and it loses connection to the server, Is this a performance issue with network or the file extension.?

Return to User experiences