FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Where to put SRT (subs) files

<<

doogydawg

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:47 pm

Where to put SRT (subs) files

I have a film I am streaming from my macbook pro to my samsung tv.
I have been streaming for quite a few years now, but the films have always been in English, so I have never needed anything else.
The film I am trying to stream is All Quiet on the Western Front, which is in German. I have three srt files,
British (Forced).eng.srt
British (SDH).eng.HI.srt
British.eng.srt
Not having a clue about subs, where do I stick any of the above?
Thanks for any replies (in a basic explanation as possible please)
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:34 pm

Re: Where to put SRT (subs) files

The SRT files must be placed in the same folder as the video file. Also, the SRT file name has to exactly match the video file name, with some exceptions about language. See this page for more details.

https://www.serviio.org/index.php?optio ... icle&id=33
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

doogydawg

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:25 pm

atc98092 wrote:The SRT files must be placed in the same folder as the video file. Also, the SRT file name has to exactly match the video file name, with some exceptions about language. See this page for more details.

https://www.serviio.org/index.php?optio ... icle&id=33

Thanks very much.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:03 pm

GilbertLangriazs wrote:I want to create customized subtitles by editing the srt files of movies, however I don't know how to do this. I have foreign movies with English subs but don't know where to look to find the subtitle file to tweak. I can open the movies fine in VLC player but don't see anything attached to the movie after it was downloaded.

Please help, laughter depends on it!

Unless there's an existing SRT file in the same folder your video is in, the captions you see are embedded within the video, and you can't edit that. You would have to create or download an SRT file that matches your video, and then you could edit that file.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Transcoding