FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

XBOX 360 "Wrapping" profile

<<

Ramrunner

Serviio newbie

Post Wed May 23, 2012 9:03 am

XBOX 360 "Wrapping" profile

Hey guys.

I'm having a lot of trouble with the default XBox 360 profile to watch 1080p mkv files for example. On the XBox 360 I get OK sound, but highly artifacted screens with what basically can only be described as static images every 3 to 5 seconds or so.

The transcoding is done on a Intel Core 2 Duo NAS server (Thecus N7700PRO) and I fully understand it if you tell me that's not powerful enough.

However, as we know, the h.264 stream inside the MKV is more than likely fine, it is the DTS audio which isn't.

Now, from what I understand the transcoder can only encode in ASF, MPEG2-TS and MPEG2-PS streams. ASF only carries Microsoft codecs (of course). From what I understand the XBox will not play the other two streams.

Am I correct in saying that a "wrapping" profile, where I simply mux the EXISTING h.264 stream with the (converted from DTS) stereo AAC stream into say an mp4 (MPEG-4) container is impossible?

Can someone please help me with WHERE that limitation lies? Is it with Serviio itself or with FFMPEG (which I thought could do this).

And if this is a Serviio thing, is it something that can be added in the future?

Regards,
Ed.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed May 23, 2012 10:58 am

Re: XBOX 360 "Wrapping" profile

it' the way data is stored in the containers. In MPEG4/MOV there is some data that is stored at the end of the file, thus you'd have to wait for the whole file to transcode before being able to play it. The mentioned valid containers tore the data as it comes and can therefore be streamed straight away.

Return to Transcoding