FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

audio gain, and constant quality in client profiles

<<

mightymouse2045

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:59 am

audio gain, and constant quality in client profiles

Can we do audio gain in the client profiles?

The ffmpeg command would be

-af volume= 0 to 10: 0 being no sound, 10 being the original max volume, then anything over 10 being the gain .

So -af volume=12 will increase the max volume by 2 (dB? not sure but it does increase it), the max value is 8.38861e+06 so I doubt it is in dB.

Also is it possible to specify the x264 preset, profile, level, and constant quality level?

I find with x264, setting a highbitrate of say 14000, but with a constant quality of around 20, I get about 1.7Mb bitrate, and reasonable quality....

If the some or all of the above are not possible, what would be great if it exists are all the vairables like maxHeight, maxVBitrate etc that are available and what they relate to in ffmpeg.

UPDATE:

Lol - the threads is selected in the serviio console - so never mind that part...

so ignore this:

Also setting the threads is useful in limiting the utilisation for the multi-thread capable encoders.

I am currently encoding using asf and wmv2 because the auto threads command doesn't work with this so the cpu utilisation is around 15% when using this to encode with, but the quality at low bitrates is not as nice as x264.
However if I use any other encoder, then CPU jumps up to 80 to 90% utilisation, which is just not what I want when sending a movie across wifi.

<Video targetContainer="asf" targetVCodec="wmv2" targetACodec="wmav2" maxVBitrate="3880" forceStereo="true" maxHeight="720">
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:12 pm

Re: audio gain, and constant quality in client profiles

I will try to make them at least configurable in a property file
<<

mightymouse2045

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:13 pm

zip wrote:I will try to make them at least configurable in a property file

That'd be great - it's just really frustrating having to plug in the headphones to be able to watch movies. At night it's no so bad but during the day it's not quite loud enough.

twonky (i think it's twonky or it could be plex), has an audio boost option in it's config files for specific clients... maybe an option like that in the transcoding section could work?

But i'm sure you will work out the best way to apply it... i don't know if ffmpeg can mux the audio and apply a volume increase without transcoding the audio, which would mean having to transcode all audio if it can't do it that way.... :S

I'll run a few tests here and see if it works or not
<<

mightymouse2045

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:33 pm

zip wrote:I will try to make them at least configurable in a property file

Ok it seems that you have to force transcoding on audio unfortunately, can't just do a mux and apply a dB gain. That kind of sucks because it means having to transcode all movies, and would probably require having a few target container and matches depending on the movie source? Or can any video source be muxed into mpegts for example?

Also it seems the nicest way of doing the volume gain at least would be like this:

-af "volume=+10dB"

that can be a + or - and whatever dB value you place in there. I've tested that out and it works nicely.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:35 pm

Sorry, I meant the x264 profiles could be in a property file.
<<

mightymouse2045

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:41 pm

zip wrote:Sorry, I meant the x264 profiles could be in a property file.

Right of course - and what about the volume side of things?
<<

Crni03

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:05 pm

Hi!

It would be great if there ware an option to gain audio volume.
Serviio has much lower audio volume than tv channels and it's reflecting bad on wireless headphones, i got static noise.
<<

Molasar

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:28 am

Was this ever implemented? Option to specify audio gain (for ffmpeg) would be really handy and I would imagine quite easy...
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:30 pm

This thread is ten years old. No, it has not been implemented. I would guess that it's too processor intensive to implement, and would cause issues with the performance of Serviio on lessor powered computers.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Transcoding