FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Philips 873, ext subs not working

<<

Andreas_ace

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:42 pm

Philips 873, ext subs not working

Hi everyone.

There is some problems with Philips OLED TV now.
My version is 873.

External subtitles wont be shown.
In version 1.9.1 the Movie just freeze with subtitles activated.
In version 1.9.2 it will show the Movie, but wont show susbs.
But it does show internal subtitles.

I got a 8809 version Before my 873, and it worked perfect.

I have also tried another software and its the same problem there, works fine for 8809 but not 873.

So, what can I/we do to makeit work?
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:37 am

Re: Philips 873, ext subs not working

Other than reporting it to Philips ;-) a few things spring to mind:

• Make sure burned in subtitle are turned off in Serviio Console (pressing Save); if they were already off then...
  • Try Serviio 1.10 and see if that helps (long shot, I don't think anything changed from 1.9.2);
  • You could (I wouldn't) enable burned-in subtitles in Serviio. This will transcode any video's that have external subtitles and burn them into the resultant transcoded file. A whole lot of unnecessary transcoding imo, and you cannot turn subtitles on/off.
  • Given your TV plays the files with internal sub-titles, what I would do is mux the external sub file into your media file. Its easy to do, is non-destructive (no loss of quality) and results in a file where you can select subs on/off via your remote control. You can then delete the external sub file (or store it outside of the library). You can use ffmpeg that comes with Serviio to do this - I believe that the command

ffmpeg -i "movie.mkv" "subtitle.srt "-map 0 -map 1 -c copy "output.mkv"

should do it for text based subtitles (I'm not at home to test so let me know if it doesn't work... I'm working from memory)
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

Andreas_ace

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:00 pm

Got v1.10

Stiil no subs is showing up. If i enable option: Burned-in subtitles
The Movie wont start. The screen goes black and it tries to load, and after a while im back in tne media tree.
I tried to have Enable transcoding enabled and disabled. No change.

If i disable Burned-in subtitles all Movies will start. But no external subs.
if a sub is embedded, like a txt in the file it will show that.
it also shows up a txt Icon on my TV.
Like i wrote Before, i tried with Another software and its the same problem there.

But they got a line in the renderer profile: TranscodedVideoFileSize:= value

# The amount of transcoded data is unknown at the time of transcoding. Still,
# some renderers expect a size for the video file to be returned.

If I set the file size to 10 GB ( !!!) the program wil actully show the movie with subs in 3 seconds.
If i set on 100 GB (gahhh) it wil show for 3 minutes.

I actully dont know why.

But if both programs have the same issue, there have to bee something with the new Philips tv´s that is missed.
The support says that srt files are supported
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:35 pm

The external sub file is named exactly the same as the media file (other than file extension)?
There is not a special key on your remote (eg. Options) for external subs - the older Panasonic TV's did something like that and its not always obvious.

Other than that I cant think of why it wouldn't work. I would probably just mux the sub-titles into the media file, which should, based on what you've stated fix the issue (by avoiding it ;-)).
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

Andreas_ace

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:34 pm

DenyAll wrote:The external sub file is named exactly the same as the media file (other than file extension)?
There is not a special key on your remote (eg. Options) for external subs - the older Panasonic TV's did something like that and its not always obvious.

Other than that I cant think of why it wouldn't work. I would probably just mux the sub-titles into the media file, which should, based on what you've stated fix the issue (by avoiding it ;-)).

I have tried to activate subtitle and deactivate subs on my tv.
I got option: Off, On, and On during muted sound.

The names are correct, i also tried "themoviename.forced.srt"

Before i got the 8809, Tv from 2012 i Think, And on that one Everything worked fine. So nothing is Changes on my computer accoriding to names.

8809 vas like some kind of hybrid when it comes on OS. Menus were Unix I Think and main OS were Android 4.4.

Newer Philips are on pure Android, i think version 8 (oreo)
Dont know if there is software or hardware on newer Philips that causes problems

Ive been thinking of muxing files, but sometimes i got a whole season my GF want to Watch and then it will take time to mux.

So muxing files is just a way to walkaround the problem and not fixing the real issue
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:14 pm

Andreas_ace wrote:So muxing files is just a way to walkaround the problem and not fixing the real issue
Agreed. But if the real issue is a problem with the TV/firmware then fixing it may not be a simple thing as you will have to wait on Philips. Is anyone else having the issue on that model (checked their forums)?

If you are technically inclined you may be able to write a batch file to remux all the files in one hit. Remuxing is pretty quick but if you have a lot of files then you may need a few hours.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

Andreas_ace

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:03 am

I havent found yet on the same modell, but another with 8503 modell does have the same issues.

Return to Transcoding