FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Just can't figure out Samsung transcoding

<<

el_smurfo

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:21 am

Just can't figure out Samsung transcoding

I've been using MakeMKV to create MKV files from DVD for years, but I've never figured out the secret sauce to make them reliably transcode to my D series Samsung TV. I have some older MKV that will transcode, though the aspect ratios are always wrong, sometimes side bars, sometimes side and top bars (these are all modern movies). More and more, the MKV files will not play at all, and I can't find any settings that I can change in MakeMKV to make them work. Serviio is set up right, with the C/D renderer but I just ripped John Wick 2 and Beauty and the Beast and neither will play.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:26 pm

Re: Just can't figure out Samsung transcoding

el_smurfo wrote:I've been using MakeMKV to create MKV files from DVD for years, but I've never figured out the secret sauce to make them reliably transcode to my D series Samsung TV. I have some older MKV that will transcode, though the aspect ratios are always wrong, sometimes side bars, sometimes side and top bars (these are all modern movies). More and more, the MKV files will not play at all, and I can't find any settings that I can change in MakeMKV to make them work. Serviio is set up right, with the C/D renderer but I just ripped John Wick 2 and Beauty and the Beast and neither will play.

Sometimes there's nothing a profile can do to work for all videos. It depends on the way the original video was authored to disc. I too use MakeMKV, and there's little that can be done on that side. One example is some of the Mel Brooks movies on DVD (for example, Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles). I believe they were not mastered as anamorphic, so I end up with black bars around all four sides. The Blu Ray versions don't do that. I either have to run them through Handbrake or use the zoom feature on the TV.

As to why some won't play, we would need to see the media info on an unplayable file to see if there's a clue. You can also experiment with another profile, other than Samsung C/D. The DirecTV profile transcodes everything, so you might see if that works. Also try the generic profile, as it does no transcoding and you can see if they will play without transcoding.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Transcoding