FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Help with Hi10/flac on Samsung JU6440

<<

loganj01

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:00 pm

Help with Hi10/flac on Samsung JU6440

Hi,
I'm using Serviio PRO v 1.10 (trial version) on linux. i have ffmpeg installed too.
Serviio shows the tv as being UE40JU6400 which is a Samsung J series.
The problem is that the server is not transcoding any of my hi10/flac files. it serves the files as they are.
even the log shows that blahblah file has started at 0%.
The server creates only a single file in /tmp/Serviio with stf extension.

apparently the server reads the profile file. i've made a simple test by modifying something in it and then the log showed errors with profile file.

edit: nvm. i've delete the entire serviio folder and change the path for transcoding. now its working but tv won't play it. i wonder if its the extension "stf" that the tv won't recognize
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:40 am

Re: Help with Hi10/flac on Samsung JU6440

The server creates only a single file in /tmp/Serviio with stf extension.
The .stf file is only created when the media is being transcoded. So... this would indicate the file is being transcoded (try deleting it to make sure its not left over from some other file). There is quite a bit of discussion on the forum that suggests the J-Series cannot play any transcoded files. That may be the problem here.

i wonder if its the extension "stf" that the tv won't recognize
The .stf file is a serviio trancode file, and it quite normal and integral to Serviio.

Is Serviio assigning the Samsung J Profile to your TV (check in Serviio Console). That profile has a media format specifically for FLAC files which would indicate that the author of the profile found out that the TV supports FLAC natively as a specific mime-type. Perhaps post MediaInfo and ffmpeg -i details for the file.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:03 pm

I haven't used my Samsung JU7100 to play any media in quite a while, so it's possible that there has been a firmware update that fixed it, but in the past I could never play any transcoded files. For that reason, along with the just plain lousy player interface, I switched to using a Roku player and now an Nvidia Shield to watch movies on my Samsung. It just wasn't worth the hassle messing with the TV interface.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

loganj01

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:18 pm

Well tv is not playing that temporary file. I was expecting the file to change name at least if not having multiple files like emby does.
if i copy that stf file, change ext to mpg and share it then the tv can play it without any problem.
But directly playing during transcoding it says unsupported format.

i can play emby transcoded files. the difference is that emby transcode 1 file into many small files (a few sec) and that the file is ts and i thinks there is also some sort of playlist in that folder. i have no clue which one the tv is receiving.
I have an issue with emby too. i have to play the same file twice. i think somehow tv its start playing the file before emby starts transcoding 'cause it gives network error. after a second play the file works.

atc98092 wrote:I haven't used my Samsung JU7100 to play any media in quite a while, so it's possible that there has been a firmware update that fixed it, but in the past I could never play any transcoded files. For that reason, along with the just plain lousy player interface, I switched to using a Roku player and now an Nvidia Shield to watch movies on my Samsung. It just wasn't worth the hassle messing with the TV interface.

I don't want any device around my tv.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:44 pm

Yep, Samsung for whatever reason really makes a lousy network media player in the Tizen OS. Sounds like it still won't play transcoded files. If you don't want an external player, you only option is to use something with a dedicated app on the Samsung, like Emby or Plex.

The only transcoding format that I am aware of that uses multiple small files is AppleHTTP (HLS). Just as a test, you might try using the Chaneru profile in Serviio for your TV. It's the only one I know off the top of my head that uses HLS. That would at least show if the TV app would work with Serviio and transcoded files. I don't think that profile would be a good long term solution, as it's going to transcode a lot of stuff your TV can play. But it should work as a test.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

loganj01

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:55 pm

atc98092 wrote:Yep, Samsung for whatever reason really makes a lousy network media player in the Tizen OS. Sounds like it still won't play transcoded files. If you don't want an external player, you only option is to use something with a dedicated app on the Samsung, like Emby or Plex.

The only transcoding format that I am aware of that uses multiple small files is AppleHTTP (HLS). Just as a test, you might try using the Chaneru profile in Serviio for your TV. It's the only one I know off the top of my head that uses HLS. That would at least show if the TV app would work with Serviio and transcoded files. I don't think that profile would be a good long term solution, as it's going to transcode a lot of stuff your TV can play. But it should work as a test.

Changing the profile to Chaneru it will only show the folders on tv but no file inside.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:48 pm

loganj01 wrote:
atc98092 wrote:Yep, Samsung for whatever reason really makes a lousy network media player in the Tizen OS. Sounds like it still won't play transcoded files. If you don't want an external player, you only option is to use something with a dedicated app on the Samsung, like Emby or Plex.

Changing the profile to Chaneru it will only show the folders on tv but no file inside.

Yeah, sometimes a non-matching profile will work, sometimes it won't. Thanks for trying, though. Probably means that Samsung doesn't support HLS playback.
Dan

<<

loganj01

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:30 pm

it there any way to transcode only flac to ac3/mp3/whatever audio for mkv files without transcoding the video/sub?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:59 pm

Yes, FLAC is a codec that can be captured in the MATCHES line. This should be enough:

Code:
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="512">
   <Matches container="*" aCodec="flac"/>
</Video>

This will capture any video file with FLAC audio, regardless of container. It leaves the video alone. I use a similar format to catch TrueHD and DTS/MA tracks, and my UHD files still play perfectly in 4K with HDR.

One thing to note: where you place this in the profile makes a difference. Serviio stops at the first line that matches the capture line. So if to put this below a line that captures the same file, but for a different reason, this line won't make any difference. So place it as high in the Video Transcoding section that you can, without potentially missing something that might require video transcoding as well.
Dan

Return to Transcoding